It’s Frances here and it is my turn to post on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog today.
Those of you who know me know I love owls, so I was super excited when I discovered that Elizabeth Craft Designs had Owl Circle Peel-Off Stickers … yay! So I thought I would use one of the owls from the set to create my card to share with you all today. This is actually a “stand up card” using the Elizabeth Craft Design Stand Up Helper die set.
Here is how I created my card:
1. Cut a piece of double sided adhesive paper 3 inches x 4inches. Remove the protective liner from one side of adhesive and set aside on your desk. Adhere the paper to a piece of card the stamp size. Use the largest circle accessory die from the Oval Accordion card die set to cut a circle from this card, cutting the circle to one side so you still have some scrap adhesive left.
2. From the Owl Circle Peel-Off Sticker remove the bottom owl circle; the coordinating eyes and three leaves. Place these sticky side up onto the liner from the double sided adhesive paper that we set aside earlier. Carefully position the circle we cut over the owl circle. Use the left over approx. 1 inch x 3 inch piece of adhesive card to adhere the eyes and leaves.
3. Apply Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter to all peel-off pieces and rub in. You can see a video Els created using this technique here. Color images as desired, I colored my owl using pinks and reds so it would work with the colors of my designer papers. Use foam tape to adhere the second set of eyes over the eyes of the owl in the circle.
4. Use the Circle Accordion Card page die to die cut a circle from red card. Layer the glittered owl image onto the red circle and set aside.
5. Cut a piece of red card for the base of the card which is 4 3/4inches x 9 1/2. Use score board to score card along the 9 1/2 inch side at 2 3/8 inches and 4 3/4 inches. Fold card in half so it measures 4 3/4 inches square.
6. Cut a piece of designer paper 4 1/2 inches square and adhere this to the front of folded card card you created in step 5. Now you can fold along the 2 3/8 inch score line also created in step 5.
7. Cut a piece of designer paper 4 1/2 inches for the inside of the card. I also cut a piece of red card the same size and layered both pieces together so the base of my card didn’t have a hole in it and because I was using designer paper it strengthens the paper, but this is optional.
8. Position the leaf from the Stand Up Helper die set approx. in the centre of the designer paper we cut in step 7 and run this through a die cutting machine. I wanted my leaf stand up helper to look more like a leaf and the other leaves on my card so I also cut a small piece of double side adhesive paper. placed this onto some white card and then die cut the leaf stand up die from the adhesive paper and then applied the glitter as I did in step 3 and colored my leaf to match the other leaves on my card. I then took a black outline pen to draw and outline around the edge of the leave and the center of the leaves and then adhered this over the red leaf I cut on the designer paper.
9. Cut a thin strip of double sided adhesive paper, approx. 3/4 inch x 7 1/4 inches. Remove the liner from adhesive, set aside the liner and adhere the adhesive to a strip of white card. Remove an 18 inch strip of the ribbon strips from the Ribbon Swirls Peel-Off Stickers and place this sticky side up on the liner we removed previously. Apply Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter to strip and rub into adhesive as previously done on other pieces. Cut the ribbon piece into two pieces one at approx. 4 3/4 inches. Color the 4 3/4 inch piece of ribbon blue and the other red. Adhere the blue piece to the edge of the designer paper we cut in step 8. Adhere this panel to the inside of your card.
10. Cut the red piece of ribbon sticker we created in step 9 in half and adhere each piece just below the bottom of the centre fold on the front of my card. (You could use a whole piece if you prefer but as most will be hidden by the owl you only need to add this to each side)
11. Apply foam squares to the lower half of the owl circle and adhere that to the center of the front of the card. The top part of the owl will poke up over the fold when the card is place behind the leaf stand up helper.
12. Use the “Happy Birthday” die and die cut this from black card about 5 times. Use glue build the layers up so you have a thick piece. Adhere the “Happy Birthday” so it is centered between the stand up helper and the blue ribbon strip on the inside of card.
13. Finally adhere the leaves we created in step 1 to either side of the “Happy Birthday”
Here is my card closed ready to be placed in an envelope and mailed.
Elizabeth Craft Designs
Circle Accordion Card Die – Karen Burniston
Happy Birthday Die (783)
Fresh Prints Designer Paper – Stampin’ Up