Designed by Mary Dimercurio Prasad for the Elizabeth Craft Designs DT.
I’ve wanted to make an accordion card for a while now. This is my first one. Although it looks complicated to make, it really isn’t. I used Copic alcohol markers to color the stamped images but you may color the images in any number of ways.
Making the Card
1. Cut three copies of the accordion oval in alternating blue colors dark/light/dark, plus one using embossed dark gray paper. I wanted the cover to look sort of dark and stormy. Cut the tabs off of the dark gray copy and adhere to the cover (i.e. back side of the first accordion).
2. Adhere the three accordion pieces together as shown in the instructions, but do not stick the tabs together yet – you want to decorate while the card is flat.
3. Stamp the Tilda images with Memento Tuxedo Black on alcohol marker friendly paper.
Color the images using alcohol markers, blending from light to dark then back for a smooth transition between shades. (There are a lot of videos on YouTube that show how to color using alcohol markers.)
4. Carefully cut around the images. The bee antennae are too delicate to cut around so cut them off and used black wire in a V shape, ends curled, and adhered to the back of the bee’s head. (Hint: use a dark gray marker to outline the stamped images after they have been cut out – this helps to hide the white edge.)
5. Die cut the flower layers and leaves then make the flowers as described in my design team challenge card for March.
6. Die cut frame edges for 2 light blue frames, and 1 dark blue frame. Adhere the frame edges as shown.
7. Die cut the small butterfly. Use dark blue paper for the butterfly silhouette. For the overlay,
add Double Sided Adhesive to cream cardstock and polish with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter before die cutting.
8. Die cut three small flowers (All Seasons Tree) from the glittered cream card stock (above).
Add a blue rhinestone to the center of each.
9. Die cut 2 light blue loopy flowers and 2 dark blue loopy flowers (Butterfly Accessory Dies). Create two flowers: offset and adhere the light flower layer on top of the dark flower. Add a rhinestone to the center of each. Adhere the three small flowers as shown, as well as one of the loopy flowers (on the next panel, adjacent to the small flowers).
10. Die cut two large clouds and one small cloud from White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz using the dies from the All Seasons Tree.
11. Hand cut a puddle from Silver Metallic Shimmer Sheetz. Adhere the puddle and clouds as shown. Adhere the stamped images using dimensional tape (hint: color the sides of the tape with
a black alcohol marker and let it dry before adding it to the back of the stamped images).
12. Add small drops of rain with silver Liquid Pearls around Tilda in Spring Rain image.
Set aside to dry.
13. Die cut the oval from the Accordion Oval Card set in light blue. Adhere to the center of the last panel.
14. Using a printer, print a sentiment with your favorite font so it will fit inside the oval you just cut, with some room to spare. Use the stitched die from the Accordion Oval Card set to trace around the sentiment and hand cut. Add Waterfall Stickles to the outside edge. Add three rhinestones and one of the loopy flowers above and below the sentiment as shown. Adhere.
15. Adhere the leaves, flowers, butterfly, metal embellishment, and half pearls as shown.
Use strong adhesive to glue the tabs as per the instructions for the Accordion Oval Card.
Elizabeth Craft Designs
- 772 Accordion Oval Card
- 777 Oval Flourish Frame Edges
- 773 Butterfly Accessory Dies
- 781 All Seasons Tree
- 703 Triple Leaf Set
- 728 Bunch of Flowers 1
- 729 Bunch of Flowers 2
- 639 Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter
- 502 8.5”x11” Transparent Double Sided Adhesive
- Shimmer Sheetz: White Iridescent, Silver Metallic
- Bazzill Basics Pearl Papers (2 shades of blue), Cream and White Cardstock
- Dark Gray Embossed Pearl Paper (or use ECD embossing folders)
- Magnolia Rubber Stamps: Tilda in Spring Rain, Tilda with Bee
- Memento Ink, Tuxedo Black
- Copic or Other Alcohol Markers, Alcohol Marker Friendly Paper
- Distress Crackle Paint, Rock Candy
- Liquid Pearls, Silver
- Stickles, Waterfall
- Half Pearls, Rhinestones, Metal Embellishment, Dimensional Tape
Thanks for your comments – I appreciate them all!
Really gorgeous, Mary! Love the wire bee antenna tip and the alternating blues between the pages.
Great card. Thanks for sharing.
such a fun accordion card Mary
Adorable AC Card Mary…..Love it!!
Lovely card Mary! I liked your tip about outlining the cut edges with a dark marker, and using wire for the bee antenna is such a good idea!
Beautiful card Mary! Very cute. Love all the little details.
Beautiful card, Mary! Very nicely done. Xx
Way too cute…nicely done!!!
Wonderful Accordion Mary, now that you’ve made one…..you’ll want to make more.
A great first use of an Accordion card die! A really lovely detailed finished result.Thank you for all the step by step instructions.This card would be a very welcome arrival to anyone’s house!
That is soooooooo adorable.
A lot of information. Thanks. I’ll be trying some of your techniques.