Karen Aicken here, with today’s post. Every September I send my parents and my in-laws a Grandparents’ Day card. This year I used these lovely Big Hearts Peel-Offs to create my cards.
I love using hearts – they are good for so much more than anniversaries and Valentine’s Day. What could be better to show our love for grandparents than by using glittered and colored hearts? This year, Grandparents’ Day falls on Sunday, September 7th.
1. Below you can see the patterned paper I decided to use. The three Big Hearts Peel-Offs have been attached to double sided adhesive and glittered with Silk Microfine Glitter. Els’s YouTube video shows all of the steps and you can view the tutorial by clicking HERE.
2. Choose colors that match the patterned paper, color the bottom two large hearts from the
Peel-off sheet with Copic or other alcohol-based markers. Set aside the remaining heart for another time. It’s already glittered and ready to color! (You could also use Tombow Dual Brush markers, but a lot more drying time is needed.)
3. Fussy cut the bottom two hearts.
4. Option: With the hearts sitting on a piece of scrap paper, slowly and carefully go around the edge with a black permanent marker to hide any white edges.
5. Using a pencil, trace the heart twice onto a sheet of fun foam. Cut out the two hearts about 1/8″ inside the penciled line. Add strips of double sided adhesive to one side of the foam hearts.
6. Adhere a foam heart to the back of each colored Peel-Off Heart. Tip: Use craft foam on larger items for extra dimension instead of foam tape or dots. It’s lightweight, acid-free and offers good support over the whole area so the shape doesn’t buckle.
Below are the two finished cards.
7. For each card, cut a blue panel 4-3/4” x 6-3/4″ and adhere to 5”×7″ card blanks. Cut a patterned paper panel 4-1/2” x 6-1/2″ and adhere to blue panel.
8. For each card, cut a blue panel 4” x 6″ and adhere to the patterned paper. Cut a white panel
3-3/4 x 5-3/4″ and adhere to the smaller blue panel.
9. Add adhesive to the two foam-backed Hearts and adhere to the white panels.
10. With a black fine point pen, add hand lettering as shown. Add color with Copic markers in the same palette as the glittered Heart and patterned paper. Option: Use rubber stamps instead of hand lettering.
11. Option: Add Glitter Dots Peel-offs as shown. Decorate the inside of the cards as desired.
Here is the second card, with a close-up of the glittered heart. Note that I used both Pink and Orange Glitter Dots on both hearts.
I hope you enjoyed seeing how I made these pretty cards, and that you are inspired to use some
Big Hearts Peel-offs for your next project!
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies:
White card stock
Blue card stock
Patterned paper – BasicGrey
Fun foam – craft store
Millennium Fine Point Pen in Black – Zig