Debra back again to share a tribute to summer with you. Even though fall has officially begun, here in Texas it’s still blazing hot, sunny and green. It sure doesn’t feel like fall! My mind keeps heading back to the beach and the wonderful days of summer I am not quite ready to let go. The new Seashells Peel-Offs inspired me to take those feelings and create a card to embody sun, surf and the carefree life.
Here’s how I made this card:
1. Fold a piece of white 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 cardstock in half to form a standard A2 size base. Emboss the front half with the Mini Mosaics Embossing Folder.
2. Cut a piece of white cardstock to 3 3/4 x 5. Cut a rectangle out of the middle leaving a 1/2″ edge all around to form a frame shape. Save the middle panel, we will use that to build our seascape.
3. Using a textured embossing powder sprinkled with a little Fire Opal Silk Microfine Glitter, heat emboss the bottom third of the frame to give the look of sand.
4. Pick 5 seashells from the new Seashells Peel-Offs and place them on a page from a cast-off book or piece of sheet music. Lightly smudge with brown ink to give a vintage look and to add the illusion of some texture. Color with a clear glitter paint pen to add shimmer.
5. Roughly cut around peel-offs and adhere them to a piece of white cardstock for more stability. Then fussy cut peel-offs. *Note- using a black marker to cover the cut white edge is a great way to hide any areas that didn’t get trimmed closely enough. Just be careful not to let the marker jump to the front of your shell and leave a mark. Work slowly and you should get good results.
6. Tear strips of three shades blue cardstock- dark, medium and light, into thin uneven strips. Adhere them to the rectangle piece cut in step 2 starting with the lightest color at the top overlapping with a darker color until the whole piece is covered. Add a few random darker pieces in for more interest. Curl back some of the edges for added texture.
7. This is the completed panel. Do not trim the excess off the sides unless they stick out past the edge of the frame. The extra length on the side will cover any gaps when you adhere the panel behind the frame.
8. To assemble the card, add foam adhesive to the back of the frame. Only peel the liner off the bottom edge. Center it on the card base and adhere down the bottom edge only. Add adhesive to the back of the torn panel. Slide the panel behind the frame, center it and secure down. Peel the liner from the rest of the foam adhesive on the back of the frame and secure down.
9. To complete the card, arrange the seashells on the front. Die cut Hello from white cardstock and adhere to top of frame. Free hand cut two tiny “seagulls” from the edge of the sheet of Peel-Offs and add to the sky on the torn panel. Here is another look:
I hope my card helped you hang on to summer just a little bit longer! Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!
Piccolo Brownstone Enamel Powder
Vintage Photo Distress Ink
Clear Wink of Stella Brushpen