Welcome to the 4th Annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop! A few years ago we were looking online for handmade gift ideas and thought it would be great if there was a resource dedicated JUST to handmade gift ideas. Enter the Handmade Holidays hop! We’ve gathered over 100 of our creative blogger friends in the craft industry as well as some of our fellow product manufacturers to bring you a plethora of inspiring gift ideas you can make now to give to your friends, family, and colleagues. Pin and bookmark these ideas for this holiday season and to use throughout the year! Each day of the hop features approximately 30 gift projects and you can “hop” from one blog to another to check them all out.
Judi Kauffman is back for day 2 of the Blog Hop. Today she created this beautiful set of bracelets decorated with Shimmer Sheetz.
Shimmer Sheetz Bangle Bracelets
By Judi Kauffman for Elizabeth Craft Designs
It’s so easy to make bracelets for friends and family. The only things you need are flat-sided unpainted wooden bangles, Shimmer Sheetz, an embossing folder (or several!), paint and alcohol inks.
Bracelets can be simple like the ones shown below, or with further embellishment they can be over the top, like the one with beaded wire sprigs and a large half-pearl, shown above.
1. Paint the bangle with flat acrylic paint, followed by a coat of iridescent acrylic glaze, followed by a coat of clear acrylic sealer. Allow each coat to dry before adding the next.
2. Measure the exterior of the bracelet. Cut a piece of Shimmer Sheetz to fit around it. Cut the strip in half. Also cut two 1” strips to use as accent pieces. Using an ink applicator tool to apply colors, create a mottled effect on the Shimmer Sheetz with two or three alcohol inks, leaving some of the original color visible. Use the same colors on the two long strips, use different colors on the accent strips. (Sample bracelets: Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz). Cover the back of the Shimmer Sheetz pieces with double sided adhesive sheet.
3. Using the embossing folder shown or another pattern you prefer, emboss all of the pieces. Lightly sand to bring out some of the silver color in the core of the Shimmer Sheetz. Wipe with damp rag. Option: Add a bit more alcohol ink to further alter and highlight the embossed pattern.
4. Remove the backing to expose the adhesive and wrap the two long Shimmer Sheetz strips around the bracelet. Cut 1” wide strips* from the extra pieces altered in step 2 to use as accents over the seams where the long strips join. (*Length of these pieces is determined by the width of the bracelet. Bracelets shown are 1” wide and 1.25” wide.)
5. Optional embellishments: On one side of the bracelet at the point where the two long strips join drill small holes; attach bead and wire sprigs. Cover the holes with a 1” embellishment strip. Using jewelry glue to hold it in place, center a large half-pearl on the embellishment strip. (This bracelet may catch on knitted garments and chiffon fabrics and should be worn with care!)
6. For SUPER FAST BRACELETS, use one long strip of altered and embossed Shimmer Sheetz rather than two pieces and omit the short strip that would cover the single seam where the ends meet.
7. For maximum durability and to ensure that bracelets can stand up to constant use, omit the wired beads and pearl in step 5 and seal the bracelets with two or more coats of a clear acrylic coating. Dry between coats.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
SS0218 Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz or color of choice
KB103 Trendy Tiles 2 Embossing Folder or folder of choice
Unpainted flat-sided wooden bangles (DIY Bangles)
Alcohol inks in assorted colors
Acrylic paint, iridescent acrylic glaze, clear acrylic sealer
Are you ready for lots more creative handmade gift ideas and projects??
Follow along on our blog hop! Simply click on each of the links below to be taken to that post with additional information and photos on how to create a handmade gift project. Have fun and pin away!
Follow our Handmade Holidays Gift Ideas Pinterest board for even more inspiration!
A huge thank you to our sponsors for this hop – please visit their blogs below and follow them. And be sure to come back tomorrow for another 30+ amazing Handmade Gift Ideas!
Clearsnap || Ellison Educational Equipment || Walnut Hollow || Graphic45 || Westcott || ICE Resin || Therm O Web || Rowland Industries || Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L || Pink and Main || Elizabeth Craft Designs || The Buckle Boutique || Neat and Tangled
Additional Sponsorship provided to bloggers by: