Nancy Walker is back as today’s Guest Designer. She surprised us with a festive New Year’s Spiral Tag Card. Her favorite character, Chilly the Penguin was invited to the celebration and she used an interesting array of other Elizabeth Craft Designs dies, too.
New Year’s Spiral Tag Card by Nancy Walker
Thank you Joset for having me back as a guest designer today. This card combines several die sets and yes, I did bring Chilly out to let him celebrate New Year’s Eve! His natural coloring makes him a shoe-in for the tuxedo and black tie party especially when Karen Burniston’s Props Dies are enlisted.
Instructions for the outside:
1. Cut light gray cardstock 8 ½” x 6 ½”. Stamp randomly with a brick or stone stamp inside and out to give a little texture to the building.
2. Score at 3 ¼” to make a card measuring 8 ½” x 3 ¼.
3. Align the round tag shape from the tag die set on top of the folded card. Allow the edge of the die to hang off the folded side. Run folded card through your machine to die cut the top section of the card, cutting both front and back of the card at the same time.
5. Cut the clock from light gray and remove the numbers. Cut a circle from gold cardstock for the clock backing and adhere both the clock and its backing together, placing adhesive only in areas with no openings. Add clock hands showing a couple of minutes past 12:00 and adhere so they will not move. Add a brad in the center of the clock, connecting the hands to the clock face. Adhere clock to top of card in the circle niche created in step 4.
6. Stamp and fussy cut “Party This Way” with the arrow pointing to the inside of the card.
7. Cut Chilly’s outline from black. Using the hat from Pops 1, cut one hat from black and one from gold. Trim away the brim on the gold hat to create gold hatband. Adhere to black hat, then adhere hat to the black Chilly outline. Square off his toes so he is seen from the back like he is reading the sign.
8. Cut corners from gold using the corner die from Tag & More 3 – Leaves.
Instructions for the inside:
1. Cut spiral mechanism from grey cardstock using Spiral Circle Pull card and adhere as shown. Cut and adhere balloons from scrap vellum, using bow and string from Props 2.
2. Cut Chilly and assemble as shown on front of die packaging. Add party hat and blower from Props 2 (with a little piece of feather added to the end), and one of the balloons like he is holding it. Add rhinestones to bow tie and front of his “shirt”. Adhere Chilly to the bottom left of the card. Cut two more corners from gold and adhere to the bottom of the inside of the card. See close up of Chilly.
3. Using Elizabeth Craft Design’s Transparent Adhesive Tape on the back of the gold cardstock, cut “Happy New Year”. Adhere to right side of card on the lower “wall”.
4. Add Glitter Borders in gold and silver and Glitter Dots in black and silver to resemble confetti and streamers coming down in celebration of the New Year.
5. Add balloons, party hats, and blowers with feathers on the ends to the spiral mechanism so they will all pop up when the card is opened. See close up below.
6. For complete instructions on mounting the spiral mechanism, watch Karen Burniston’s video tutorial HERE.
7. Glue a dot from the gold cardstock into the back side of the hole in the top of the card on the left side. Add a glitter dot to this, too. Add ribbons to the top of the tag card in the remaining hole on the right side of the card.
I hope you will enjoy making your own New Year’s Spiral Tag Card.
Enjoy crafting with Elizabeth Craft Designs!
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies:
953 Tags & More 3 – Leaves
911 Props 1
949 Props 2
943 Happy New Year
917 Clock and Gears
916 Spiral Circle Pull Card
908 Chilly the Penguin
7018 Black Glitter Dots
7010 Silver/Gold Glitter Borders
Elizabeth Craft Designs Transparent Adhesive Tape
Light gray cardstock
Sahara Sand ink – Stampin’ Up!
Stamps from Club Scrap and Stampin’ Up!
Scraps of vellum or other translucent paper
Brad, Feathers, Ribbons, Rhinestones