By Judi Kauffman
I’m glad to be back as today’s Guest Designer. My projects: A pair of kitchen towels for our neighbor to thank her for hosting our morning coffee hour and a quartet of simple cards that incorporate the same peel-offs that I chose to use as stencils for the painted and stitched towels.
Here’s the how-to:
- Wash the towels to remove sizing (no fabric softener). Iron the towels (even if they are never ironed ever again…).
- Open the towel so it is flat on the table. Measure and center an outline peel-off on the towel about 6” from the bottom hem. Use painter’s tape to mask off a rectangle around the peel-off. Add a trio of outline peel-off bees or butterflies within the rectangle. Make sure all peel-offs are pressed firmly in place. I chose ovals with flowers, but you could pick circles with owls or dragonfly ladies or flower or any other shaped (enclosed) motif(s) you prefer.
- Cover work table with plastic bag and newspapers. Spread out the towel so it is flat and smooth. (Option: Tape the towel in place so it won’t move.) Following paint manufacturer’s instructions for using fabric medium, mix Black Plum acrylic paint and fabric medium together on a palette or disposable plate. Using a stencil brush to apply paint/medium mixture, fill the rectangle around the peel-offs, taking care not to let paint seep underneath the lines. Tip: Stencil brushes have stiff bristles and are used with a pouncing motion, paint is applied a little at a time – not in thick swashes like a regular paintbrush.
- When the paint is dry, lift up and discard the painter’s tape. Very carefully lift up the outline peel-offs and move them onto A-2 Kraft Brown cards. There will still be adhesive on the back; the outlines will now be matte Black Plum instead of shiny Black.
- To get the most from the peel-offs use a Sticker Transfer Sheet to move the negative pieces (leftovers) from the sheet onto two more A2 Kraft Brown cards.
- Use 1 strand of white Perle Cotton #5 to add touches of embroidery to the towels. I chose a mix of French knots, running and straight stitches.
- Use black and white pens to add doodles and details to the cards.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
2558 Daisies in Oval peel-offs in Black
2559 Roses in Oval peel-offs in Black
Dunroven House – Kitchen towels
Note: Dunroven House cotton kitchen towels are available in many solid colors as well as checks and stripes. If you choose to paint over a pattern, make sure to pick one that is pale and subtle, almost tone-on-tone rather than sharp and bold (pale yellow and white, ivory and light tan, etc.).
DecoArt – Americana Acrylic Paint in Black Plum, Fabric Medium
Sakura of America – Gelly Roll Medium pen in White, Pigma Micron 01 pen in Black
DMC – #5 Perle Cotton in B5200 White
Palette or disposable plastic plate
A2 note cards in Kraft Brown