By Judi Kauffman
Judi Kauffman is back, this time with a fun No-Sew Wristlet using Shimmer Sheetz, dies, and embossing folders. She created this project for our Flower Power Designer Challenge which will be posted on our blog on March 31, but we’re giving you the instructions a couple of days early.
Thank you for inviting me, Joset. I love the Flower Power Challenge theme! Reminds me of the 1970s when flowers were everywhere – on bell-sleeve tunics, throw pillows, in our hair. This no-sew project is as easy as pie and it requires very few ingredients:
*Die cut, embossed and sanded Shimmer Sheetz flowers.
*Lumiere 3D Metallic Paint & Adhesive (used only as an adhesive this time around).
*A pre-made environmentally friendly felt wristlet made from 100% post consumer recycled fibers.
- Die cut three large and three small Crystal Flowers. As shown: Large flowers are Light Pink Iris Shimmer Sheetz, small flowers are Pink Iris Shimmer Sheetz. Die cut three of the smallest size 5-petal flowers from the Bunch of Flowers 1 set. As shown: Ruby Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz. (**Remember, you MUST use a Metal Adaptor plate for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz – the plate goes inside your machine’s standard cutting sandwich, followed by the Shimmer Sheetz, then the die with the cutting side facing DOWN toward the metal plate.)
- De-boss the large Crystal Flowers with any all-over pattern embossing folder; de-boss the small Crystal Flowers with a second embossing folder. See supply list for the two I chose. When de-bossing, the background will be prominent and the pattern shapes will be below the surface. (You have the option of embossing with raised patterns instead.) Use a sanding block to lightly sand all six Crystal Flowers. Do not sand the small Ruby Gemstone flowers.
- Using Lumiere 3D Metallic Paint & Adhesive in Pearl as an adhesive, adhere the three large flowers, evenly spaced a half-inch below zipper, with a single petal facing toward the top of the wristlet. (Tip: 5-petal flowers look like a star; you want the star to be standing upright.)
- Gently bend the petals upward on the remaining six flowers to add dimension. Center and adhere the smaller Crystal Flowers so the petals are offset, the single petal (or top of the star) will be facing the bottom of the wristlet for this layer. Finally, adhere the small Ruby Gemstone flowers in the same direction as the large Crystal Flowers in the first layer. Refer to photo.
- Allow the adhesive to dry before using the wristlet, per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Care: Wristlet can be spot cleaned with a damp cloth. Lumiere 3D Metallic Paint & Adhesive and Shimmer Sheetz are both waterproof.
Change to any color combination you prefer. Wristlets also come in gray felt; Shimmer Sheetz comes in many colors!
Pick different flower dies; add more layers to the flowers or if using smaller flowers add more flowers to the row. Or place the flowers in a cluster or at random instead of in a row.
Incorporate die cut Shimmer Sheetz leaves, purchased velvet leaves, feathers, gems, or other embellishments.
Instead of a speedy no-sew project, have fun securing the flowers with beads and embroidery.
Double the number of flowers and decorate both sides of the wristlet. Allow the adhesive to dry on the first side before working on the other side.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
803 Metal Adaptor Plate (**MUST have for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz)
Other – Feltables 100-50388 Simple Wristlet in Fuchsia (The New Image Group); Lumiere 3D Metallic Paint & Adhesive in Pearl (Jacquard Products)