It’s Susan Tierney-Cockburn here today. As summer ends, and with the cold weather slowly approaching, I am suddenly inspired by winter memories. It is with great excitement that I will show you how to make my “Winter Solstice” card.
When I designed CountryScapes, I had decided that these dies would reflect my story. Growing up in our home on three acres of my grandparents’ farm, after my father retired from the military, was an adventure every day and every season. Looking out onto our backyard, was the split rail fence, and in winter, it was adorn with snow. I noticed the wildlife that passed through our yard, but mostly the serenity it brought by just staring out my bedroom window while I read or sketched. This card is my memory of those times.
1.Cut A6 card (6 1/4” x 4 1/2”) from 100lb Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Soft Finish Cardstock and a rectangle (6” x 4 1/4”-top layer) from 85lb Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Soft Finish Cardstock. Die cut all pieces twice, except the snow mound, of which you will need three if you’re going to add it in front of the tree, with Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Clear Double-sided Adhesive on the back. Everything is cut from the Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Soft Finish Cardstock, except the Country Fence. I die cut one Country Fence from the Soft Finish Cardstock and one from 100lb dark brown cardstock. Create a cloud and grass template from heavy cardstock.
2. First, adhere a 2” x 4 1/4” piece of Clear Double-side Adhesive sheet to the bottom of the top layer; don’t peel it until you’ve done the clouds. I use Ultramarine Blue Shade from Susan’s Garden PanPastels Set 2 for the stormy sky. After the sky is done, it’s safe to peel off the protective sheet of the adhesive and sprinkle with the Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Silk Microfine Glitter (apply as directed). Adhere this top sheet to your card. Edge card with the Silver Peels Offs if desired.
3. I used PanPastels Set 2 Chrom. Oxide Green Tint and a cosmetic applicator to lightly color the evergreens in the background. Next, I added details to the trees with the Prismacolor Cool Gray pen.
4. Adhere the trees, branches, Country Fence, and Owl pieces together. I like the look of adding thickness to my pieces, but it’s purely optional on your part. If you want snowflakes, you can use a toothpick, dipped into the Kid’s Choice glue and dot the sky, then, sprinkle with Twinklets/Diamond Dust.
5. Shade the trees, using PanPastels Set 3 Paynes Gray Tint overall and highlight the details with Paynes Gray. Adhere birch tree to the top layer. Repeat with the branches.
6. Adhere the Country Fence together, white cardstock on top. Use the Walnut Stain to color the fence, then, use PanPastels Set 3, Raw Umber to shade.
7. I apply Silk Microfine Glitter (Warm Diamond 640) to my cardstock as per instructions, then die cut it. Place two of the mounds onto the fence, the third one I cut to add some “mounding” in front of the birch tree. Cut the fence in half and use Kid’s Choice glue to adhere it to the right side of the birch tree. (Save the other half for another project!) I also added a mound of snow on top of the post.
8. Shade the owl, using PanPastels Set 3 Paynes Grey Tint and Paynes Grey. Details were done with Copic YR12 for the eyes and claws, then I used a black UniBall Pen to do pupils, beak, accentuate the feathers and claws. Adhere to the right side branch.
This really is a very quick card to make and put me in a serene mood, just remembering a scene similar when I was growing up.
1094- CountryScapes- Clouds & Grass
1082- CountryScapes- Critters 4
992- CountryScapes- Woods 1 (just the birch tree & branches)
990- CountryScapes- Country Fence
1079- Backyard 4- Snow Decor
30116- Susan’s Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 2
30117- Susan’s Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 3
502- Elizabeth Craft Designs Transparent Double Sided Tape Sheet (8.5″ x 11″)
PSF101- Soft Finished Cardstock (8.5″ x 11″) 85lb
PSF102- Soft Finished Cardstock (8.5″ x 11″) 100lb
640- Silk Microfine Glitter – Warm Diamond
1034- Corners and Borders (Silver)
Non- Elizabeth Craft Designs products used:
Beacon “Kids Choice Glue”
FloraCraft Twinklets Diamond Dust
Prismacolor Cool Gray pen
Black UniBall Pen
Ranger Distress Ink/ Walnut Stain