By Judi Kauffman
My last Guest Designer project for the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog (Fun Times with Fitted Frames, September 6, 2015) used three of the same die sets as this time – Fitted Frames 2 Curvy Rectangles, Leaf & Berry Branches, and Congratulations.
I thought it would be fun to keep going with the same dies to show how endlessly versatile they are!
I added two dies, a butterfly and the words With Sympathy. And I changed the palette from country-influenced folk art colors to muted shades of blue-purple, amethyst, and navy.
Butterflies have long symbolized the fragility and brevity of life so I chose them for the sympathy card. But butterflies are also a symbol of lightness and happiness, equally appropriate for sending good wishes to a newly-married couple or graduate so I positioned a pair on the Congratulations card as well.
Customize your cards!
*Change the sentiment, the color combination, the size and shape.
*Create a flat card instead of one with a fold and send along a Card Stand/Easel.
*Instead of butterflies, embellish with realistic flowers using dies from Susan Tierney-Cockburn’s Susan Garden Collection.
*Instead of realistic flowers, embellish with bold graphic flowers, berry branches or simple leaves using dies by Els.
*Mix in purchased embellishments.
*Take a more minimalist approach and stick with monochromatic or single-color tone-on-tone like the two cards shown below.
- Follow the basic general instructions from September 6 to create the cards. All cardstock elements are die cut from cardstock backed with double sided adhesive sheet. Both cards are A2 size.
- For the sympathy card, cut the words With Sympathy a second time from Blue Velvet Adhesive Sheet. Position the Velvet words slightly offset over the cardstock words to add dimension. (The cardstock words act as a pale shadow.)
- Die cut 3 Amethyst Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz butterflies for With Sympathy card, 2 butterflies for Congratulations card.
- Emboss butterflies in the Swirly Curves embossing folder. Lightly sand to reveal the silver color core of the Shimmer Sheetz. Gently bend butterfly wings upward.
- Secure the butterflies to the card front using a tiny sliver of a Tombow Power Adhesive Tab on the back of the body section, allowing the wings to remain dimensional and free of adhesive. (Use non-stick scissors to cut the Power Tab strips.) The wings will flatten when the card is in an envelope, but will pop right back up when it is removed! *Reminder: You must use a metal adaptor plate or Sizzix Precision Base Plate for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz, with the cutting side of the die facing the metal and the Shimmer Sheetz in between. The rest of the cutting plate “sandwich” is the same as usual for your machine.
TIP: Make extra butterflies to use on gift tags, barrettes, and other projects. Shimmer Sheetz is garment-quality Mylar (colorfast and waterproof) so you could sew or glue butterflies onto T-shirts, scarves, and other items. If using glue, Beacon GemTac is highly recommended. Use florist’s wire when attaching Shimmer Sheetz butterflies (or other shapes) to plants or flower arrangements.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Tombow Power Adhesive Tabs
Non-stick scissors (for cutting Power Tabs)
Blue-purple cardstock (or color of choice)