By Judi Kauffman
The Els van de Burgt Studio Card Stand/Easel die is right up there on my must-have go-to list with Glitter Dots Peel-offs! I knew it would be a perfect way to display cards, postcards, photos, and such, but my imaginative friend Darla had so many other ideas; one of them – a Pen Stand. Brilliant! (Thank you, D.)
By making the Pen Stand with Shimmer Sheetz on the front and heavy cardstock on the back it is super sturdy as well as elegant, with the look of expensive metal. And I discovered that by embossing the sides but not the center portion of the Stand it has an extra level of strength and stability. The un-embossed area becomes a strong vertical spine, just like a person with good posture!
I knew in advance which pen it would hold so I chose a muted palette in keeping with an heirloom vintage silver pen, but your Pen Stand can be brighter, shinier – whatever you want.
Customize the project to suit the writing instrument, the décor, your taste or the taste of the recipient. Alter the Shimmer Sheetz with alcohol inks, or skip that step and just emboss and sand it; any allover pattern embossing folder will work.
Imagine a White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz Pen Stand next to the guest book at a wedding; a Turquoise Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz Pen Stand with a chunky marker as a colorful statement next to a family message board. With a Pen Stand the pen is right where you expect it to be, unless you have a cat with other ideas…
1. Alter a 5” x 6.25” piece of Black Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with alcohol inks in dark colors plus gold metallic. (Option: Skip the alcohol inks.) Back the rectangle with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet.
2. Die cut one Stand from the Shimmer Sheetz and a second from a piece of coordinating solid color cardstock. (Always use the Metal Adaptor Plate when die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique.)
3. Remove the release sheet from the back of the Shimmer Sheetz to expose the adhesive. Carefully line up the two pieces to make a 2-layer Stand.
4. Working one side at a time and making sure that the bumps of the clouds are oriented toward the TOP of the Stand, emboss the left and then the right side. Leave the center .25” of the Stand un-embossed. (Tip: Fold Stand along the scoring line at the center. Use the fold to align the Stand in the embossing folder. This will automatically leave an un-embossed spine.)
5. Lightly sand the Shimmer Sheetz to tone down the Stand. For a shinier Stand, omit this step.
6. Carefully and firmly fold the Stand along the scoring line so it is at a right angle. Rest the pen across the Stand and enjoy it!
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
1071 Card Stand/Easel die
KB105 Clouds embossing folder
SS 0101 Black Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz (5” x 6.25”) or color of choice
803 Metal Adaptor Plate
Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet (5” x 6.25” piece)
Other – Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks and Gold Metallic Mixative, Ink Applicator Tool (Ranger Industries, Inc.); Sanding block; Solid color cardstock to coordinate with Shimmer Sheetz; Die cutting/embossing machine (Big Shot, Cuttlebug, or other); An interesting pen!