It’s Frances Byrne here. Earlier on in the week on my blog I posted a Halloween Treat Holder Doorhanger for a challenge I do. With Christmas edging closer, I thought it would be fun to create a Christmas version of this which included instructions. This can be used to give a Christmas treat of some kind or even a small gift. It can be hung on a door handle or if you prefer hung on a Christmas Tree.
Here is how I created the card:
- Cut a piece of red cardstock so it measures 4 1/4 inches x 12 inches and another piece that is 4 1/4 inches x 3 1/2 inches.
- Take the larger piece of red card and using the tag edge from the Tags & More 9 – Sparkle die set place this as close as you can to one edge of the card and run through die cutting machine.
- Place the card so the straight edge of the card is in the corner of your scoring tool and score piece at 3 1/2 inches and 4 1/4 inches.
- Next score the smaller piece of red card at 1/2 inch; 1 1/4 inches; 5 1/2 inches and 6 1/4 inches.
- You should now have two pieces of red card that look like the photo above. Apply adhesive to the back of the smallest piece and attach it to the front of the back panel so that the bottom of the piece is lined up with the score lines. Note: by placing the solid panel to the hanger piece as instructed above we will be able to hid any joins with our designer paper.
2. Take a piece of designer paper that measures 4 1/4 inches by 7 3/4 inches (note: I used paper from a 6 x 6 paper pad so mine is shorter as long as the paper goes past the opening it will work). Using the tag edge from the Tags & More 9 – Sparkle die set place this as close as you can to one edge of the card and run through die cutting machine.
- Remove the tag edge die from the paper and position the decorative edge die so it is level with the curved shape of the tag and run through your die cutting machine.
- Adhere the designer paper to the back panel of your hanger piece.
3. Create the hole in the back panel of the door hanger so it can be hung on a door or tree by die cutting a solid shaper (circle, heart, ornament). As this one is Christmas themed I die cut the solid ornament from the Ornaments 2 die set.
- Optional: Cut a slit from the left edge of the hanger to the side of the ornament so the slit is at an angle. Cut another slit slightly down from the first so you have a tiny gap. Note: Whether you do this step will depend on where you intend to hang the completed hanger, if you are going to hang on a large knob type door hanger you will need to do this otherwise you can omit this step if preferred.
4. Apply adhesive to the tabs of the side pieces and attach them to the front panel to create the box to hold your treats.
5. Apply a piece of Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the front of a piece of white card which is measures 4 1/4 inches x 3 inches. Place the wavy edge (snow) from the Outdoor Edges die set onto this card so it is approx 1 1/4 inches up from the edge of the card. Place the Merry Christmas die on the excess piece above the wavy edge and die cut.
- Remove the protective backing from the die cut pieces. Cover the adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter, polish glitter with your finger and brush excess off.
- Attach pieces to box using photo above as placement guide.
6. Apply a piece ofTransparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the front of a piece of green card approx 6 inches x 5 inches. Using the 5 Part Pine die set die cut the following:
- 2 each of the three middle sized tree pieces
- 1 of the largest tree pieces
7. Carefully remove the protective backing from the top portion of each of the tree pieces so that the bottom part is still protected and cover adhesive with Spring Peridot Silk Microfine Glitter, polish glitter with your finger and brush excess off.
- Remove the remaining piece of protective backing and cover with Forest Green Silk Microfine Glitter, polish glitter with your finger and brush excess off.
- Note: If preferred you could have snowy branches by substituting Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter in place of the Forest Green color. If you wish to do this, apply the Warm Diamond to the trees first and then the green so avoid contamination of your clear glitter.
8. Decorate the trees by attaching Red/Gold Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers to them.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Supplies:Elizabeth Craft Designs: 1077 Tags & More 9 – Sparkle 755 5 Part Pine 762 Ornaments 2 914 Outdoor Edges 944 Merry Christmas 635 Spring Peridot Silk Microfine Glitter 633 Forest Green Silk Microfine Glitter 640Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter 7018 Red/Gold Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers 508 Transparent Double Sided Tape 64mm Other: Cardstock: White; Red; Green Designer Paper: Graphic 45 Twas the Night Before Christmas 6 x 6 Patterns & Solids Paper Pad Foam Tape