Hello, I am thrilled to be part of the Susan’s Garden Club Design Team for Elizabeth Craft Designs! My name is Annette Green and this is my first post on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog, and I’m sharing a Valentine-themed birdhouse today. I have a fondness for birdhouses as home decor pieces in my home. I love to change the decor in my foyer according to season, and most of my decor pieces are birdhouses. Since I hadn’t made a Valentine-themed one yet, I decided it was time. And with Susan’s Garden die Rose 1 and Garden Notes die Rose 2, it was such a pleasant project to create.
- Select a wooden birdhouse from your local craft or hobby store. This one stands about 8″ tall. Sand any rough edges to smooth.
2. Paint birdhouse with two coats of red acrylic paint. Cover with decorative papers.
3. Use Susan’s Garden Notes Rose 2 die to cut enough pieces to make three roses and two stems with leaves. I chose various shades of red and pink and two shades of green. Assemble the flowers and stems according to Rose 2 instructions and adhere to front of birdhouse.
4. Use Susan’s Garden Rose 1 die to create two large roses and their coordinating leaves. Adhere to lower left and upper right of birdhouse’s front.
5. Cut a third large rose and its leaves from the Rose 1 die; adhere to right side of birdhouse.
6. Bundle a 32″ length of checkered ribbon to create a fussy bow and pinch at center. Affix a heart charm to the center with pink twine. Adhere the bow unit to the peak of the birdhouse with strong fabric glue.
7. Adorn the roof with various trims.
8. Die cut various sized hearts from card stock and spritz with shimmer spray of your choice. Score down the center of each heart and adhere in random areas of the birdhouse. Fill in areas with more leaves. Adhere a large decorative brad head to each perch.
Here are a few close-ups of the beautiful roses you can create using the Rose 1 and Rose 2 dies. I hope you’ve enjoyed the project and are inspired to try a fun home decor piece for your home too. The possibilities are endless, and with Valentine’s Day fast approaching, roses are the perfect choice!
Graphic 45 Mon Amour 8″ x 8″ and 6″ x 6″ papers
Graphic 45 Shabby Brads
Alizarin Crimson paint, DecoArt Americana Acrylics
80 lb. card stock in assorted reds, pinks, and greens
Checkered ribbon, lace, twine and ball fringe (pompom) trim
Heart charm, Tim Holtz idea-ology
Thanks Susan! I loved making these roses!
Thank you Elaine. I loved making it and it makes me happy that you enjoy it.
Thanks Pat! So happy you like it.
Thanks so much Tandara. That means a lot to me!
Thank you so much Sandy. Those roses are truly a pleasure to make.
Perfect for a Valentine’s Day centerpiece!
Great Work ! i love this Birdhouse ,
This bird house is very sweet!
Absolutely love the birdhouse. Would make a lovely decorating item. Thank you so much for sharing. Love all your projects.
I am in love with this bird house — the roses are truly wonderful – beautiful!!!!!
Thanks for sharing this work of love