Hello!! It’s Wanda Hentges with you today. We’ve had a lot of really cold weather in Southern Iowa and it’s nice to think about warmer days, maybe by the ocean, walking along picking up shells and enjoying the sunshine. The A Way With Words Dream die, cut from a “dreamy” color of Shimmer Sheetz, combined with the new Swirly Flourish Stage it Stencil from Karen Burniston (a design that makes me think of waves on the sea), Seashells from Joset Designs, and a rope from Ropes 1, a new release from Els van de Burgt Studio, make for a wonderful card. It sends the mind off on thoughts of a day by the seaside.
1. Cut the next-to-largest Stitched Oval from White Soft Finish Cardstock.
2. Lay stencil over oval. Apply Texture Paste through stencil using a palette knife. Remove stencil, scrape off excess Texture Paste and return to jar. Immediately wash the stencil and palette knife.
3. While the paste is still partially wet on the oval, spray with Distress Stains. With a damp towel, press over the sprayed Texture Paste removing some of the color and adding additional texture to the top of the paste. Let this air dry or gently dry it with a heat tool. (Note: Press with a dabbing motion, but don’t pull the towel across the surface – the goal is to remove color and add texture without smearing the pattern.)
4. Cut Shells from White Soft Finish Cardstock. Back the cardstock for the Shell Outlines with Clear Double Sided Adhesive, but do not back the cardstock for the Solid Shells. Spray the Solid Shells with Antique Linen; allow to dry. Add shading with Vintage Photo Ink and a Mini Blending Tool; allow to dry. Spray with Perfect Pearls Mists, allow to dry. Ink Shell Outlines (overlays) with Vintage Photo and the Mini Blending Tool.
Below is a close-up to show the shimmer on the solid shells against the matte finish of the outlines. This makes for a very nice contrast when the shells are put together.
5. To create the top-fold (tent-fold) card base: Fold a piece of White Soft Finish Cardstock in half. Set largest Stitched Oval Die so the top of the oval is past the fold of the card; tape die in place with low-tack (painter’s or washi) tape and cut.
6. Cut Open Rope from Soft Finish Cardstock backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive. Remove rope from die and poke out out all of the inside pieces. Using the ink pad as an applicator, ink over the rope with Vintage Photo Distress ink. Use a light touch so the ink will be darkest on the highest parts of the die cut. Lightly mist with water; the ink color will bleed, adding light color to the edges and making the top lighter than it was. This mottled, varied color makes the rope look more realistic.
7. Cut Dream from Shimmer Sheetz backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive. Choose Amethyst or Turquoise Gemstone, or any color that you prefer. Reminder: A Metal Adaptor Plate is required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz (or a Precision Base Plate if using the Sizzix Big Shot machine). Review Els’s YouTube video HERE if you are new to this technique. Cut a second Dream from White Soft Finish Cardstock backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive.
8. Assemble the card as shown. Attach textured panel to folded card. Peel off backing from rope, attach to card and trim the ends that extend past the sides of the oval. Layer Dream together offsetting the Shimmer Sheetz so that the White word becomes a soft shadow; attach to card. Layer shell outlines over solid shells. Attach finished shells to the card with Foam Mounting Tape.
Thanks for following along!!! I hope you’ve enjoyed this card and are inspired to play!! If you have a moment, please leave a comment and tell us what you think of the products and project.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
- A Way With Words, Dream
- Els van de Burgt Studio, Stitched Ovals
- Els van de Burgt Studio, Ropes 1
- Joset Designs, Shells Large
- Karen Burniston, Swirly Flourish Stage it Stencil
- 100# Soft Finish Cardstock
- Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheets
- Shimmer Sheetz in Gemstone color of choice
Other Supplies –
- Texture Paste (Ranger)
- Distress Spray Stains – Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Antique Linen (Ranger)
- Distress Ink – Vintage Photo (Ranger)
- Perfect Pearls Mists – Biscotti (Ranger)
- Mini Ink Blending Tool w/Foam (Ranger)
- Non-Stick Craft Sheet (Ranger)
- Foam Mounting Tape