As you know, adding texture to Shimmer Sheetz with embossing folders works incredibly well. And in case you missed it, Judi Kauffman made some super fun cards by doodling around the A Way With Words die cuts in a recent blog post.
I’ve combined the two techniques into one for this card and we’re calling it Hand Embossed Shimmer Sheetz.
- Form a tent-fold card base measuring 7” x 5” from Black Iris cardstock.
- Cut a 6” x 4” piece of Turquoise Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz.
- Cut three panels to mat the Shimmer Sheetz panel, each one approximately 1/8” larger around than the previous one, from Black Iris, Reflecting Pool and Poseidon cardstocks, in that order.
- Die cut one Happy Birthday from Reflecting Pool. Die cut one Happy Birthday from Black Iris cardstock (backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive sheet). Adhere the lighter coloured die cut onto the darker one using tiny dabs of glue. Slightly offset the words to create the drop shadow effect as shown.
- Adhere the Happy Birthday die cuts to the center of the Shimmer Sheetz panel by removing the release paper.
- Now the fun starts! Place the Shimmer Sheetz panel on the molding pad. Use the smallest stylus from Susan’s Garden Tool Set to begin drawing patterns around the die cut, directly on the surface of the Shimmer Sheetz. (Tip: Practice on a Shimmer Sheetz scrap before working on the panel to get the feel for how much hand pressure is needed to create the best ‘impressions’. Hold the stylus upright to create de-bossed dots.) I began with large spirals, then filled empty spaces with leaves and dots. Do your own thing, use your imagination and have fun doodling! If you can only draw hearts, then make that your main image. Those of you who like to tangle might want to use other patterns to customize your embossing.
- When you’re satisfied with your embossing, assemble the card as shown using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape for the Shimmer Sheetz and one or more of the other layers, foam tape for dimension on one or more layers as you choose. Tip: The Shimmer Sheetz might curl along the outer edges as you emboss it, so make sure the Double Sided Tape comes right to the edge of the panel before you attach it to the Black Iris cardstock panel.
- Voila! Now you have a card that can be proudly displayed. Depending on the angle and the light, it will look different each time you glance at it.
Be sure to keep the scraps of Shimmer Sheetz on which you practiced and experimented. Cut them into squares or die cut shapes and use them for all sorts of other projects.
Happy creating! Suzanne
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Core’dinations cardstock in Reflecting Pool, Poseidon, Black Iris
Beacon Kids Choice Glue; Foam tape