Hello, Mary here with a sparkly Halloween card. Recently Els Van de Burgt (Elizabeth Craft Designs) featured a technique for a glittered background in her Technique Friday with Els YouTube video. I wanted to try it with Halloween colors and feature a pumpkin on the front. Unfortunately I only had the Pumpkin die in my collection which is no longer available but you can easily create the same look by using the Pumpkin Peel-Offs which are really fun too. (Or maybe you have the Pumpkin die in your collection, too!) I decided to give the card some contrast by coloring the pumpkin with my Copic markers but if you are using the Peel-Off sticker you might want to glitter your pumpkin using a technique from the Halloween tag card I made a couple of years ago.
Making the Card
1. Cut black cardstock 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches; fold in half to form a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch card base.
2. Follow the instructions in the video to create the background using the Circle Background die. See the supply list for the colors I used.
3. Die cut pumpkin base, leaf, stem, and vine from alcohol marker-friendly white cardstock. Color each piece. I used the Copic markers listed in supplies. Shape using ball stylus on back of pumpkin, stem, and leaf. Flip leaf and use stylus from middle to stem.
4. Cut a strip of vellum 1 5/8 by about 7 inches. Temporarily place across glittered background such that there is extra hanging off both sides. Note approximately where you want the greeting and pumpkin. (I suggest putting a small pencil mark under where the middle of the pumpkin will be and also just outside both sides.)
5. Emboss the greeting with gold embossing powder. (Note: I carefully cut my greeting into three lines. If you don’t want to do this, you will need to mask the first word.) You can leave it like this or add a layer of glitter, as I did. You will have to line up the stamp perfectly (I used a stamp placement tool) and emboss with a sticky powder; once melted, it acts like glue. Add Light Gold Silk Microfine Glitter and polish with finger.
6. Adhere strip across card by wrapping around to the back: put a little adhesive under where pumpkin will go, attach one side then the other on the back. Adhere to card base.
7. Adhere pumpkin and stem with dimensional tape. Glue leaf and vine.
- Silk Microfine Glitter: 661 Violet, 650 Go To Green, 651 Sea Glass, 644 Light Gold, 601 Basic Black
- Clear Double-Sided Adhesive
- 1262 Circle Background
- 764 Pumpkin (No longer available but instead use the Pumpkin Peel-Off or other die, like a witch’s hat from Karen Burniston’s Props 9 die set, to decorate your card)
- CS020 Halloween Clear Stamps
- Susan’s Garden 4 pc. Metal Tool Set in Luxury Case
- Cardstock: Black, Alcohol Marker Friendly White
- Alcohol Markers: Copic Y17, YR16, YR18, YG03, YG17, YG67, G29
- Embossing Powder: Gold, Sticky (Optional) e.g. Ranger
- VersaMark or Embossing Ink
- Dimensional Tape