Mary here today with a fun holiday card. When I was a kid I used to love to ice skate all winter long. This card reminds me of the glide, glide, and sway – of spins and jumps, and skating through the quiet snow. It was a magical and wonderful time of year (but I’m glad to now live in North Carolina!).
Making the Card
1. Cut 85 lb Soft Finish Cardstock to 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches; score and fold in half for a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch card base. Cut Soft Sky Soft Finish Cardstock 3 3/4 x 5 inches. Cut vellum 1 1/4 x 6 inches.
2. Silver emboss sentiment on vellum starting about 1/2 inch from left edge. Wrap around Soft Sky piece from step 1, starting about 1 inch from top, adhering on back using clear double sided adhesive. Adhere to front of card.
3. From 85 lb Soft Finish Cardstock, die cut two of all skates pieces except for the blades. Die cut blades from Siver Metallic Shimmer Sheetz. Reminder: A Metal Adaptor Plate or Sizzix Big Shot with Precision Base Plate is REQUIRED for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique to ensure that your cutting ‘sandwich’ is correctly positioned.
4. Lace up the sktes with twine. Hint: Put a small piece of clear double sided adhesive behind the top and bottom lace and stick the ends in them. Tie two small bows. To make a bow, I used tweezers that only open when squeezed, like the ones that come in Susan’s Garden Tool Set, to help hold the single loop while I tied around it.
5. Apply Walnut Stain Distress Ink to sole/heel pieces of skates with ink blending tool. Adhere to bottom of skates with glue (e.g. Kids Choice Glue). Adhere blades to skates using clear double sided adhesive on back of skates.
6. Die cut snowflake border from 85 lb Soft Finish Cardstock. Add Transparent/Silver Glitter Dots as shown. You don’t have to add Dots beneath the area that will be covered by the skates or in areas at the ends of the border strip that will get cut off. Adhere to top of card as shown. Trim off excess.
7. Glue bottom skate to card where shown. Glue on bow. Adhere top skate using dimensional tape as shown. Glue on bow.
- Soft Finish Cardstock: 85 lb, Soft Sky
- 1245 Skates
- Shimmer Sheetz: Silver Metallic
- 1259 Holiday Garlands 2
- CS023 Winter Sentiments
- Glitter Dots: Transparent/Silver
- Susan’s Garden All Metal Tool Set
- Clear Double Sided Adhesive
- Kids Choice Glue
- Distress Ink: Walnut Stain
- Ink Blending Tool
- Twine: Black/Gray/White
- Silver Embossing Powder (e.g. Ranger Silver)
- Embossing Ink (e.g. VersaMark)
- Dimensional Tape