By Els van de Burgt
It’s been a long while since I’ve been the guest designer on our blog. It’s fun to be in my studio for two whole weeks instead of on the road. Today’s project is my way of celebrating the new Feathers die set as well as Tim Holtz’s brand new Distress Oxide inks – a great combo!
The Distress Oxide inks are just amazing. I love how they respond with water, how you can combine colors without messing up, and how easy it is to get terrific results. I used them for a spattered looking background on my card as well as for the banner and feathers.
Here is the how-to:
- Prepare three 4.25” x 5.5” pieces of Distress Mixed Media Heavystock as follows:
- Piece One – with Fossilized Amber Only for the banner. (You’ll have leftover scraps.)
- Piece Two – Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo and Fossilized Amber for the background.
- Piece Three – Spiced Marmalade, Fired Brick, Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo and Fossilized Amber for the feathers.
Technique for all three: Press ink pad or pads onto the non-stick craft mat. Spritz with water (I used Tim’s Distress Sprayer), then lightly touch the paper onto the ink to pick up the color. No need to press, the color jumps up onto the Heavystock like magic! Repeat until you like the results. Spray water directly onto the Heavystock or the craft mat if you want to disperse the color a bit more. Or not! It’s all good. Air dry or use a heat tool.
- Die cut three feathers out of the Piece Three. Die cut the second-smallest Stitched Fishtail Banner out of the Piece One. Die cut the same banner a second time out of black cardstock. Set aside Piece Two until step 6.
- Stamp dots onto the feathers using black ink. Fill in the dots with a white gel pen. Use a black Pigma Micron 005 pen to accent the spine of each feather. Drag the edges of the feathers onto the clear inkpad, add gold embossing powder and heat set.
- Using black ink stamp ‘believe’ onto the banner close to the V-cut end. (Refer to project photo.) Trim the banner down to 2”. Also trim the black cardstock banner to the same length.
- Make a Dark Goldenrod Soft Finish Cardstock A2-size top-fold card base (8.5” x 5.5”, scored at 4.25”, folded in half).
- Wrap a piece of twine around Heavystock Piece Two (set aside in step 2). Secure the ends to the back with tape or a dab of glue. Attach the 3 feathers, evenly spaced, toward the left side of the card front, using a bit of Beacon Kids Choice down the middle to secure them and a small blob of the glue at the top of each one for added dimension. Allow glue to dry.
- Pierce a hole for a brad at the top of each feather. Add the brads.
- Adhere the black Stitched Fishtail Banner and the stamped Stitched Fishtail banner, overlapping and offset so there is a black dropped shadow, using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape.
- Adhere the card front to the card base using the same tape.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks –
Tim Holtz Distress Mixed Media Heavystock
Tim Holtz Distress Sprayer
Jet Black Archival Ink
Heat it Craft Tool
Non-stick craft mat
Gelly Roll Medium in White
Pigma Micron 005 in Black
Metallic embossing powder in Rich Gold
Clear Ultra Slow Drying Ink Pad
Awl or piercing tool