By Judi Kauffman
The new ModaScrap Romantic Corner 2-die set is so elegant and there are so many ways to use it!
I designed a cone that’s just right for a mini teddy bear, two or three wrapped bonbons, a piece of jewelry, some dried flowers, or a bouquet made with Susan’s Garden flower dies. The back is flat so it can hang against a wall or sit atop a plate at a bridal shower or anniversary party.
Here’s how to make it –
- Back a piece of wine red cardstock with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Die cut the larger Romantic Corner.
- To line the corner with Shimmer Sheetz: Remove the release sheet and position the corner onto the corner of a piece of Imperial Garnet Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz, making sure that the tabs along the straight sides of the Romantic Corner are BEYOND the corner of the Shimmer Sheetz. Carefully fussy-cut along the top edge. Try not to touch any of the exposed adhesive!
- Hand-cut a 4” long (measured from tip to center of the top edge) x 3” wide pizza wedge-shaped piece of Light Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz for the flat back of the cone. This triangle will have a sharp point at the bottom. Score and fold at 3” to create a ‘hem’ at the top (widest part of the wedge). Use a Tombow Xtreme Tab at each side to secure the wire and keep the hem folded down. Wire measures 9”, folded in a half-inch on each side under the hem. Trim the excess portion of the hem at both sides, returning the wedge to a triangle shape.
- Bend the long sides of the cone and firmly press and secure to the long sides of the backing piece. For added durability and to keep the Shimmer Sheetz-lined cardstock corner from budging, cover the back of the cone with another wedge-shaped piece of Shimmer Sheetz or a piece of synthetic suede or felt (fabric that won’t fray), cut to fit and secured with snippets of Xtreme Tabs.
- Die cut one pod from the Lacy Poppies die set and one Leafy Branch 2 from Imperial Garnet Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz. Lightly sand the pod to tone down the sparkle and reveal some of the silver color core of the Shimmer Sheetz. Use a fingernail to curl the poppy pod and leafy branch stems (like curling ribbon). Reminder: A metal adaptor plate or Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate is REQUIRED for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique.
- Cluster and adhere the pod, branch, and some wired beads at the tip of the cone, using snippets of Xtreme Tabs to hold them in place. Top with ribbon, tied and cut at an angle (or a small bow), also secured with a snippet of an Xtreme Tab.
- Add a mini teddy bear (finger puppet size), candy, dried flowers (or make a bouquet using Susan’s Garden dies) or whatever you want to display in the Romantic Corner Cone!
- Other options: Change the color combination. Embellish the top edge of the cone instead of the point at the bottom. Use twine or ribbon instead of wire for the hanger.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Tombow Xtreme Tabs
Cardstock in wine red
Rusty copper-colored wire
Beads, fine wire