By Judi Kauffman
Here’s an oversized and over-the-top card to make for a wedding or anniversary. There is one common element – paisley patterns. The die, the embossing folders, and the patterned cardstock all have the same theme, but each is at a different scale to keep it interesting! Light bounces off the Pink and Black Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz and Pink/Silver Glitter Dots peel-offs, and the variety of textures provided by layering and embossing tie it all together.
In other words: Pattern on pattern with more pattern thrown in for good measure, and plenty of sparkle.
Just in case you prefer simpler or smaller cards, I’ve got some options for customizing the card at the end of the tutorial This one measures 7” x 8.25” (flat, with a fold-down easel on the back) and will require a large envelope and extra postage, but there are other ways to bring it down to a smaller standard envelope and a single first class stamp.
1. Prepare the card base – 7” x 8.25” piece of heavyweight solid color cardstock topped with a patterned paper layer that is an eighth-inch smaller on all sides. Set aside.
Reminder: A metal adaptor plate or Big Shot Machine with Precision Base Plate is REQUIRED for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz and is recommended for die cutting intricate shapes like those in steps 2, 3, and 4. If you are new to die cutting Shimmer Sheetz, please review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial to ensure your success.
2. Die cut the words Cherish and Forever from cordovan cardsock backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive prior to cutting.
3. Die cut Flower Lace 2 from white cardstock.
4. Die cut four decorative corners from any Tags & More die set from Black Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz that has been embossed with a paisley or tile pattern folder.
5. Emboss a 4.5 x 6” piece of Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz, lightly sand the de-bossed side, wipe with a damp cloth. Adhere, centered, on the card base.
6. Adhere the embossed corners, using foam tape for dimension. Adhere the words Cherish and Forever at the top and bottom. Refer to the project photo and the photos above and below this step for very precise placement of each word! Make sure that the small areas at the top of the letters in Forever are ‘filled’ by the Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz and the final flourish is below the bottom right decorative corner. The bottom of the letters and the open areas in the flourishes in the word Cherish are ‘filled’ as well. (The patterned cardstock shows through the rest of each word.)
7. Add Pink/Silver Glitter Dots peel-offs to accent the flowers and leaves on the white die cut Flower Lace 2 piece. Use all of the sizes on the peel-off sheet for variety.
8. Using small snippets of foam tape, adhere it to a piece of sanded (but not embossed) Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz. Use sharp point scissors to cut around the shape, leaving an eighth-inch border. Layer onto a piece of embossed Black Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz and cut around the shape, leaving another eighth-inch border.
9. To display: Add a self-adhesive easel to the back of the card or display on a Card Stand/Easel, die cut from a double layer of Shimmer Sheetz or made with two pieces of heavy cardstock, layered together. Alternatively, punch a sixteenth-inch hole at the top left and right corners and hang (like a sign) from coordinating sixteenth-inch ribbon or metallic braid.
Use solid colors and skip the embossing.
Omit the die cut words and use a 5” x 7” side-fold card base.
For an A2 card front, omit the words, embossed corners and embossed rectangle and use only the layered Flower Lace 2 piece.
For a flat card, omit the foam tape.
Tone down even more by skipping the Glitter Dots, if you must!
Use gel printed or Oxide Ink papers and cardstock for the rectangular layers, instead of solid colors and purchased patterned paper.
A ‘designer’s secret’ tip:
Choose the patterned cardstock first, then coordinate everything else to go with it. (For example: Imagine the card with a dark green paisley paper instead of pink and mauve. Words might be lime green or pale teal, the Shimmer Sheetz rectangle might be Emerald Gemstone, etc.)
Metal adaptor plate or Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate
Cardstock in white, cordovan and pearlescent mauve
Paisley pattern cardstock
Paisley and tile pattern embossing folders