Hi friends, it’s Sandy Diller here to share a simple idea for a little gift box containing handmade greeting cards. This is a nice way to say “Thanks” to a hostess or just give to someone special.
Let’s get started – first the gift box.
Finished size of box is 6″ h X 6″ w X 3/4″ d.
- 8.5″ X 11″ paper was used here – cut 2 pieces of cardstock that are 6″ X 11″.
- Trim off one piece at 6.75″. Placing long side at top of score board, score one end at .75″, shown in figure 1 below.
- For the second piece, place long side at top of score board, score at .75″, 6.75″ and 7.50″, shown in figure 2 below.
4. Using the Speech Bubble Edgy Options die, cut design on edge of panel where the green X’s are as shown in figure 2 below.
5. Using a contrasting color, cut same shaped edge on a panel that is 1/4″ longer than panel for front of box. Attach to flap potion with edge showing.
6. Using ECD Clear Double Sided Adhesive, attach 2 panels together overlapping the scored section (the two .75″ scored sections) at the end of each panel. This forms and strengthens the bottom of the box.
7. Using the Lace Pocket die, cut one pocket. Fold on score lines made by the die as shown in first photo above.
8. Cut 3 panels that are 1″ X 6″ and score down the center as shown in the second photo above.
9. Add the panels to the under side of the die cut pocket, lining up the score line with the edge of the die cut, extending the sides and bottom sections.
10. Trim all edges to an angle that matches the angles of the die cut as shown in the third photo above. This process adds depth to the pocket without being visible when finished.
11. Add ECD Clear Double Sided Adhesive to outer edges of the side panels and to both sections of bottom panel.
12. Remove tape liner and adhere Lace Pocket to center section of box with pocket attached to larger panel and bottom as shown above.
13. Steps 13 & 14 are optional. Using the die as a guide, use a pencil to draw the outline of the shape and hand-cut a panel to line the inside of the pocket. This does not have to be perfect as it will be glued behind the die cut panel.
14. Glue panel inside of die cut pocket.
15. Remove liner from adhesive on side panels of pocket and attach to back section of box.
16. A small magnetic closure keeps the box shut. To conceal the magnets, add a flower.
17. Using the Happy Flowers die, cut and assemble several layered flowers; 5 small and 2 large ones were used for the flowers shown above. Using the Leafy Branch 4 die set, cut some leaves and adhere to the box, then adhere the flowers. Accent flowers with adhesive-backed half-pearls.
Now for some cards –
Finished size of the cards is 5.25″ X 5.25″.
1. Cut card base 5.5″ X 10.5″; score, fold in half.
2. Using Stitched Squares cut one panel from solid color cardstock.
3. Cut a Dotted Scallop Square panel from coordinating patterned paper. Shown: ModaScrap Sweet Vintage Rose.
4. Using Entwined Circles, Entwined Hearts, Happy Flowers, Dragonfly, Thanks and Love Sentiments die sets, cut a variety of layering pieces.
5. Layer panels. Arrange and adhere die cut pieces as desired. Embellish with adhesive-backed half-pearls. Note: Six cards and six envelopes will fit nicely inside the box. I made two each of the three shown above.
I hope you have enjoyed this project and will give it a try,
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Other Supplies Used:
Magnetic closure for box
Wonderful idea! Also, now that Joanne’s Arts and crafts sells the 12 x 24 size card stock I can try one with this pattern.
Thanks so much for your lovely comment. Hope you will give it a try.
That is so beautiful. Thanks so much for the tutorial.
So glad you like it, hope you will give it a try.
Soo beautiful!! Love it!! Can’t wait to make it!!
Thanks Sean – hope you share a photo when finished.
So elegant, so simple when you have broken down the process. Thank u for this idea!
So elegant, so simple when you have broken down the steps to illustrate the process! The explanation makes the final gift so doable! Thank u for this idea!
Thanks Nancy – I’m so glad you like it.