Shimmer Sheetz Sunday: Watermelon Coasters
By Judi Kauffman
Did you know that Shimmer Sheetz is waterproof, colorfast, and garment quality? This makes it ideal for projects where durability is important, like jewelry, spangles for clothing, art quilts, and mixed media; floral picks, garlands to use outdoors, and home décor items like today’s project – Watermelon Coasters.
When I think of watermelons I think of ovals – the shape prior to cutting into wedges, but your coasters can be circles if you prefer to more closely match the base of a wine goblet or water glass. Or you could make squares or rectangles. The key is to evoke the spirit of this luscious summer fruit rather than worrying about being realistic. The colors tell the story!
I chose two die sets, Fitted Ovals and Stitched Ovals. If you prefer, stick to one set, or further mix and match, adding in a Dotted Scallop Oval for the white part of the rind. The dot pattern embossing folder I used for one of the coasters has the feel of seeds, though it’s a repeat pattern. The black seeds on the more realistic of the two coasters are the little ovals left after cutting Basic Black Shimmer Sheetz with a Ribbons 2 die (the pieces that come out of the long strip). I thought they provided just the right touch!
Another option: Instead of making cork-backed coasters, skip the backing, cut the oval (or circle) in half or into quarters and add the watermelon wedges to birthday cards, party invitations, gift tags, or an art journal!
1. Back the following pieces with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet
Shimmer Sheetz for Coaster 1:
A Green Iridescent (outer rind) – 4.75” x 6”
B White Iridescent (inner rind) – 4.25” x 5.5”
C Red Iridescent (the tasty part!) – 3.5” x 4.5”
D Basic Black (seeds) – 1” x 6”
Shimmer Sheetz for Coaster 2, measurements as above:
A Peridot Gemstone (outer rind)
B White Iridescent (inner rind)
C Ruby Gemstone (the tasty part!)
2. For both coasters: Die cut a 5.5” Fitted Oval from A, a 5” Fitted Oval from B, and a 4.25” Stitched Oval from C. Also die cut a 5.5” Fitted Oval from lightweight cork sheet or craft foam for each coaster. For Coaster 1: Die cut Ribbons 2 strip from D.
REMINDER: If you are new to die cutting Shimmer Sheetz, review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial before starting the project. A metal adaptor plate or Big Shot machine with Precision Base Plate is required within the cutting plate sandwich.
3. For either coaster, emboss B with an embossing folder and lightly sand to tone down some of the sparkle. Also lightly sand A. Wipe with a damp cloth.
4. For Coaster 1, lightly sand C. Wipe with a damp cloth. Add the Basic Black Shimmer Sheetz seeds, keeping them toward the edge of the red oval.
5. For Coaster 2, emboss C with a dot pattern folder. Lightly sand; wipe with a damp cloth.
6. Remove the release sheet to expose the adhesive on the back of A and carefully adhere to the matching cork or craft foam oval.
7. Center embossed oval B onto A; center seeded or dot-embossed oval C onto B.
8. Coaster care: Use for cold beverages only. Wipe with a damp cloth to keep clean.
Iced tea and lemonade now being served on the patio!
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Lightweight cork sheet OR thin craft foam