Hello everyone, Christine here for Susan’s Garden Design Team. Today I am posting a fun Halloween card that I designed using Susan’s CountryScapes Build A Witch. The card base is called a Telescopic Card (not my design saw on Facebook) and it is easy to make so let’s get going.
- Card is 4-1/4″ X 5-3/4″. Cut 4 pieces black cardstock 4-1/4″ X 5-1/2″ cut 1 piece white Soft Finish Cardstock 4-1/4″ X 5-1/2″ .
- Score 3 of the black pieces at 2-3/4″ (center then 5/8″ increments on each side of center which would be 3 each side. The ends will be a bit wider than 5/8″ but not to worry they will be trimmed later. Take 2 of these pieces fan fold. The third piece will be fan folded after it is fitted for bottom of card as it will be easier to trim before folding.
- White panel will be your background. This background was created using Distress Ink reinkers in colors Wilted Violet, Aged Mahogany and Black Soot but could be sponged on if you do not have reinkers. Cut circle approximately 2-1/2″ in diameter from a sticky note making sure you have some of the adhesive on back of your circle this will be used as a mask for your moon. Place circle on your background piece in area you want your moon. Begin sponging on inks starting with Wilted Violet then Aged Mahogany and finally Black Soot. Remember to start off your paper and work in circular motion. Remove the mask.
- Cut 3 trees from black cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the back and using CountryScapes Backyard 3 die set. From this same black cardstock with adhesive on the back cut several bats using CountryScapes Critters 4. Adhere trees and bats to background.
- From green cardstock cut 6 strips of grass using the new Adventure Edges die set. Put a little Kids Choice Glue to very bottom of 1 strip adhere to second strip staggering so it gives it fuller look. Adhere 1 grass strip to bottom of background using Kids Choice Glue.
- Cut Jack O Lanterns from orange cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on back using CountryScapes Build A Scarecrow die set. There are 2 on the die so cut 6 times which gives you 12 Jack O Lanterns. Adhere all of them to black cardstock and “fussy” cut them out. Using green marker color stems. Cut 9 pieces of clear plastic (I always save some clear plastic packaging for this purpose as it is sturdy) approximately 1/8″ X 1″ attach to back of Jack O Lanterns using Kids Choice Glue which are tabs for attaching. Cut Scarecrow in paper of your choice (my hat was actually cut from some burlap paper I had) assemble Scarecrow. After completing mine it came to me could have used the smaller Jack O Lantern as head. Cut 4 bales of hay from yellow cardstock ink edges on 2 adhere together so you have 2 bales.
- Using CountryScapes Critters 1 cut 2 standing cats from back cardstock adhere together. Adhere 2 tiny green gems for cat eyes.
- Take 2 black pieces that you have folded adhere to back side of background piece using Clear Double Sided Adhesive. Fold up sides to dry fit last piece of scored cardstock make sure it fits between the 2 side pieces without touching if it is too long trim a bit then fan fold. Adhere to back side of background like you did on sides.
- Adhere 2 Jack O Lanterns that do not have tab directly to background make sure to fold up bottom for placement you want them to show. Adhere remaining grass, Jack O Lanterns that have plastic tabs, Scarecrow and Cat using Kids Choice Glue.
- Cut black glitter paper 5-7/8″ X 4-1/4″ . Measure and mark from outer edge 5/8″ all around cut along marks with cutter or knife. You may have a rectangle die that will fit so you can die cut center out. You will need to trim the side pieces so they fit behind the frame piece. Attach frame to sides and bottom using clear double sided adhesive. It works best if you clip sides at top attach one side at a time then attach bottom. Note: I did not build my scene before adding card frame on front I believe it would be much easier to do that first.
- Attach bales of hay to lower left corner of frame using Clear Double Sided Adhesive on one and dimensional tape for second one. Add Jack O Lanterns using Kids Choice Glue. (Jack O Lantern on popped bale should have plastic tab and pop dot.)
Hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and will try making your own telescopic card. This could be made as a Christmas card as well using Father Christmas and Snowman etc. Besure to check out Elizabeth Craft Designs for all their great products.
Until next time – Happy Crafting!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Cardstock – Black; Green; Orange
Inks – Wilted Violet, Aged Mahogany and Black Soot
Clear Plastic (Clear Plastic from Packaging is ideal for this)