When it comes to making a Valentine for a man, it can be a bit of a challenge. How do you balance the girly hearts and doilies with a man’s less glittery sensibilities? For today’s project I have tried to do that. There are definitely feminine elements at work in this card, but the color palette and simple images help keep it from becoming too delicate. Here’s how I made the card:
- Stamp the mouse, the large balloon heart and small balloon heart, small stitched heart, medium stitched heart, small drawn heart, and medium drawn heart from the ModaScrap Color of Puppies – Girl Clear Stamps set on to watercolor-friendly paper using permanent black ink. Color using watercolor markers of your choice in shades to match the tones in the ModaScrap Simply Love papers (tans, red, dark red, a bit of pink for contrast); I used Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers. NOTE: The colored large balloon heart is not pictured.
- Stamp the “You Fill My Heart” sentiment from Love Sentiments Clear Stamps on to 85 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock using a red ink that matches the red of your coloring from Step 1. Trim down to ½” x 4 ¼”.
- Create an A2 sized card base by trimming a piece of 100 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock to 5 ½” x 8 ½”; scored and folded in half. Trim the tan patterned paper with red dotted scrolling hearts from the ModaScrap Simply Love 12 x 12 Paper pack to 5 ½” x 4 ¼” making sure the hearts are running horizontally across the piece. Die cut the 4th largest circle in the Dotted Scallop Circles die set from 85 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock. Die cut the 4th largest circle in the Stitched Circles die set from the red cupid patterned paper from the ModaScrap Simply Love 12 x 12 Paper pack. Die cut out the stamped and colored mouse and hearts from Step 1 using the matching dies from the ModaScrap Color of Puppies – Girl set. Die cut 2 balloon strings and 2 bows from Rich Black Soft Finish Cardstock using the Balloons die set (Note: The balloon strings and bows are not pictured as I did this as a last step in the video, but you are much better off doing it now).
- Assemble the card by adhering the tan with red hearts patterned paper to the front of the card base with 10 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Layer the red cupid circle on top of the white dotted scallop circle using 6 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape and then adhere to the middle of the card front with 6 mm Tape. Adhere the black balloon bows to the front of the large and smaller heart balloons with liquid glue. Eyeball the placement of the balloon strings on either side of the circles in the center of the card front with the sentiment that will go across the bottom and trim the strings so they will end behind the sentiment once it is in place. Use liquid glue to adhere the balloon strings on either side of the scallop circle and adhere the balloon hearts on top of them (as shown in photo). Add foam tape to the back of the sentiment and adhere across the bottom of the circle. Add the larger pink stitched heart slightly offset above the end of the sentiment with 3 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Use 3 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to adhere the mouse in the center of the circle and the remaining smaller hearts to the front of the card. Enjoy!
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies:
- Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers
- Permanent Black Ink
- Red Ink
- Foam Tape
- Liquid Glue