It’s Suzanne here today with such a cute little gift idea! I “felt” like creating with the Gable Box. So you know those times when you make these purchases and think “I’ll make this with that!” and then you forget what you were going to do? Well, this project almost became one of those!
I think these little boxes made from felt make the cutest little warm-fuzzy ornament – or I suppose they could be a pin cushion! The supplies are super inexpensive so you can make a whole herd of them. They don’t have to be stitched, but I think it adds a nice little bit of colour and decoration. You could have a lot of fun by using different stitches.
Here is how you can make them….
- Purchase some felt – I got mine from the dollar store, but you could make something spectacular with hand-dyed wool felt. Make sure you get pieces that are big enough for the box. Die cut the Gable Box in your favourite colour. If some little areas don’t cut through, just snip along the cut lines with sharp scissors. The lines are easy to see!
- Use glue to assemble the box as you normally would, leaving the top open for now. Allow the glue to dry.
- Stitch along the “score line” edges of the box if you wish. Add knots or embellishments. I actually looked up some stitches (like a blanket stitch) and then just went simple in the end! Designer Tip: Make sure you don’t use too much glue as it can be hard to stitch through when dry! You can also stitch along the bottom edges of the box if you wish.
- Stuff the box with batting. Don’t overstuff or it will become round – but then maybe you’ll like that portly look!
- Die cut the little flowers and leaves from the “Flourished Night Sky” die set in colours of your choice. Designer tip: Cut some flowers from green and use the tiny centers for the center of the flowers!
- I really liked the look when the flowers were layered, so I cut through one flower and overlapped and glued the petals so it would have some dimension. Attach it on the other flower, then glue to the leaves. Allow glue to dry.
- Add the felt flowers to the Gable Box as desired. I added one to the middle of the Flourished Star and think it makes a sweet soft addition to the star – and I can add it to the box!
- Close the top of the Gable Box and glue together to secure it in place.
- Love it!
Keep this cutie for yourself (because it’s so darn sweet!) or give it to someone special. Happy creating! Suzanne
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies:
AWW Gable Box
AWW Flourished Night Sky
Beacon Kids Glue
Felt in a variety of colours
6-strand embroidery floss (if desired) in colours coordinating with the felt