Jessie Hurley is back as our Guest Designer for today. Jessie created a beautiful Mixed Media project using the Elizabeth Craft Designs Peel-offs. A fun technique she likes to share with us.
I hope you enjoy today’s tutorial!
Mixed Media projects are all the rage right now, so recently I taught an Art Journaling class at my local Scrapbook Store, showcasing some basic layering principals using color sprays and stencils…
Although the idea of art journaling is to doodle in your own hand, I realize that drawing flowers from scratch can be a bit daunting, so I started thinking…”What product could easily help my customers create beautiful flowers, in a short period of time and not be too overwhelming”…and the first thing that came to mind was Elizabeth Craft Designs Peel-offs!
1. Cover pages with Gesso to seal and to protect the pages underneath from color seepage.
2. Spray 3 colors randomly onto the pages until you create an effect that you like.
3. Using the Gesso again, randomly stencil images over the page using your stencils.
4. Once base complete, add Flower Peel-offs. This was my favorite part. I placed the Flower Peel-offs randomly on the pages. Using a fine-tipped paintbrush, blend 2 colors of Maya Gold paint into each petal to create dimension. Be careful to stay inside the lines…
5. Carefully remove stickers. You can use the Peel-offs again and repeat the process to create more flowers.
The Peel-off sticker is now acting like a stencil! And the best part is that the metallic ink is also sticking to the actual sticker itself, so once you’ve colored enough flowers, you can incorporate the “outlines” into the page as well!
A few silver dots from the sticker sheet scattered over the page completes the look!
This technique can be used on a smaller scale with your cards as well, just create a background using inks or sprays, add some stenciled imaged for the layered look, and then paint your favorite peel-off onto the front, add a sentiment sticker, and you’re set!
My passion is to use products for techniques other than what they were originally intended for, and Peel-off Stickers are my go-to product for that! I hope you try incorporating your collection of Peel-off Stickers into your mixed media projects and see how much fun they can be in this “up and coming” art form!
Elizabeth Craft Designs “Koi Fish” Peel-off Sticker #1234
Metallic paint (I used Viva Decor Maya Gold, but any paint will work)
Fine Tip Paint Brush