Karen here with a project using one of Els van de Burgt’s signature glitter techniques with my Fancy Frame Edges die to make a striking two-tone glitter trellis frame for a Fancy Accordion Card.
A step-by-step picture tutorial follows for how to make the frame edges, but first, here are the supplies I used on this card.
Elizabeth Craft Designs
– Accordion Fancy Label # 771 by Karen Burniston
– Fancy Frame Edges # 774 by Karen Burniston
– Peel-Offs: 8527 B – Redbreasts, 2535 B – Cute Bears(two hearts)
– Double Sided Adhesive # 502
– Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter # 639
– Basic Black Silk Microfine Glitter #601
– Fine Pointed Scissors
Papers & Cardstocks
– Bazzill Stripe Raven specialty cardstock
– Basic Grey “Corset” patterned paper (Little Black Dress collection)
– White cardstock
– Paper Smooches “Pretty Phrases” Clear Stamps
– Black ink pad, black embossing powder, and a heat gun
– Sharpie fine tip black pen
– Copic Markers: R29, C7, C10, E42, E44 and Blender pen
- Die cut four Fancy Frame pages from Black Stripe cardstock. Run one page back through the machine with an embossing sandwich to add the embossed corner details that are built-in to the Fancy Accordion Album die. On the embossed page and one other page, snip out the inner mechanism leaving only a decorator frame. Set the two frames aside.
- For the two intact pages, arrange them stripes-side-up with tabs toward the right on both pages. Add a strong adhesive (tacky tape or strong glue) to the long tab on the right side of Page 1 and connect it to Page 2. Snip off the long tab on the right side of Page 2 since there are no additional pages to connect.
- Die cut two of the largest decorator Fancy Labels from Corset patterned paper and glue a label centered on each page.
- Cut a piece of white cardstock that is big enough for the Redbreasts Peel-off sticker and both hearts Peel-off stickers. Add a piece of Double-Sided adhesive to the white cardstock. Remove the liner from the adhesive and place the liner in front of you on the table. Add the three Peel-off stickers, sticky-side-up, on the liner sheet. Carefully press the adhesived-cardstock down over the stickers, transferring them to the cardstock. Add Warm Silk Microfine Glitter to the adhesive and polish it in well. Use alcohol markers (I used Copics) to color the birds, roses, branch and hearts. Blend with a blender pen. See this technique in Els’ latest video here: Silk Microfine Glitter – Coloring with Alcohol Markers
- Cut out the Redbreasts and both hearts right at the edge of the Peel-off sticker using fine pointed scissors. To disguise any exposed white cardstock after cutting, run a dark marker (I used C10) around the edges of the cut pieces. Glue the Redbreasts and one heart to Page 1.
- For the greeting, stamp it first onto white cardstock using black ink and then emboss with black powder for a raised black glossy line. Add double-sided adhesive over the greeting and add Warm Silk Microfine Glitter over the top and polish in. To restore the crisp black of the greeting, carefully trace the words with a fine-tip Sharpie pen over the glitter. Because the greeting is raised under the adhesive & glitter it’s fairly easy to trace. Cut out the greeting using fine pointed scissors, color the insides of the letters with alcohol markers and a blender pen and then glue the finished greeting and the other heart onto Page 2.
- Create 8 two-tone glittered Fancy Frame edge pieces by following the photo tutorial below. Glue them in place on each page, remembering that the Frame Edges leave a little shadow on both the inside and the outside edges between the frame and the page.
- Add a strong adhesive to the two small tabs on the right side of Page 1. Assemble the card by folding the outer frames as a typical card and then bringing the two interior labels together and connecting with the small tabs. Use scissors to remove the small tabs on the right side of Page 2 since there are no additional pages to connect.
- Train the inner labels to fold opposite to the outer frames. This will allow Page 1 to pivot to the front of the card when closed. Add the embossed frame to the front of the card and the plain black frame to the back of the card.
- The finished card can be mailed in an A7 envelope for a single stamp.
Two-tone Glittered Frame Edges Instructions:
- Start by cutting a 2.5″ x 5.5″ strip of white cardstock and the same size strip of double sided adhesive. Remove the liner of the double-sided adhesive and apply it to the cardstock, keeping the liner that you just removed.
- From the adhesived-cardstock, die cut 4 solid Fancy Frame Edge pieces. From the liner that you just removed, die cut 4 trellis Fancy Frame Edge pieces.
- On each of the cardstock Frame Edges, remove the solid liner and replace it with trellis liner. Use the solid liner that you just removed to help you press the trellis liner down into the adhesive really well so no glitter can get underneath it.
- Cover the frame edge with Glitter color #1 (I used Basic Black). Tap off the excess glitter, pour it back into the jar, and polish the glitter into the adhesive really well with your fingers.
- Carefully peel off the trellis liner, exposing the remaining adhesive. Cover the frame edge with Glitter color #2 (I used Warm Diamond). Tap off the excess glitter, pour it back into the jar, and polish the glitter into the adhesive really well with your fingers.
- Repeat this process to make a second set of Frame Edgers, if desired, for Page 2.
See Els’ video on this technique here: Elizabeth Craft Designs Silk Microfine Glitter Butterfly
See my video for how to assemble the Accordion Albums here: Karen Burniston Accordion Album Dies for Elizabeth Craft Designs
Imagine all the combinations of glitter that would look stunning on the Fancy Frame Edges using this technique!
Don’t forget to subscribe to this blog so you can stay informed of new tutorials, videos, classes and events.