Hello! It’s Suzanne here today with a sweet little card that will stand out from the classic Christmas colours! I have a passion for kraft colours but don’t use them very often. Kraft cardstock always tells me that it wants to be distressed and to have more of a vintage look. Does that work with elegant letterforms? You betcha! I didn’t make this project look too shabby, just a bit distressed around some of the edges with a “hit-and-miss” technique to gild the poinsettia.
Here is how you can make this card!
- Form a tent fold card base measuring 7.25 x 5.5 inches from mint coloured cardstock. Cut a rectangle strip from coordinating mint cardstock measuring 7.25 x 2.25 and distress the edges. Cut 2 rectangle strips from kraft cardstock, one measuring 7.25 x 1.5 inches and the other a bit wider at 7.25 x 2.5 inches.
- Diecut Merry Christmas and Poinsettia overlay from red cardstock. If you are a confident crafter, you may back the red cardstock for Merry Christmas with Clear Double Sided Adhesive before you die cut! If you’re more tentative, follow along!
- Cut all the leaves of the Poinsettia apart and foil the surface using the following technique. Randomly apply gluestick to the top surface of the poinsettia leaves. I like to use foil scraps for this – place foil on the tacky surface of the leaves, shiny side up and pull away. Once the glue gets to the optimum tackiness, it will pull the foil off and you will get hit-and-miss gold highlights. Designer Tip: Don’t use an old dried up glue stick or one that is brand new and too gooey!
- Attach Merry Christmas to the narrower strip of kraft cardstock by removing the release paper if you’ve backed the words with Clear Double Sided Adhesive or by applying glue with a toothpick or other small tool to the back of the words. Refer to the technique in this video to help keep your diecuts straight!
- Adhere this kraft strip to the mint strip. Distress the edge of mint strip. Adhere the gilded Poinsettia leaves in a pleasing arrangement to the back of the mint strip. Distress the edges of the widest kraft strip and adhere it behind the other strips as shown. Attach to the card base.
- To create the snowflake embellishment, place Clear Double Sided Adhesive to the FRONT side of a piece of mint cardstock and use the separate snowflake from the Brrrrrrrr set to die cut one flake. Remove the release sheet and sprinkle the exposed adhesive with Silk Microfine Glitter. Tap off the excess glitter and rub the surface with your finger to bring out the sparkle. Adhere to card front as shown!
Supplies from Elizabeth Craft Designs
Cardstock in Raspberry and Light Kraft Brown
Authentique Cozy 12×12” Collection
Tim Holtz Paper Distresser