Friendly Robins Card
By Judi Kauffman
Hello, everybody, it’s Judi Kauffman, back as today’s guest designer. My card project was inspired by what I see out my window: a round-up of recently-arrived robins, at least a dozen at a time. Now that it’s warmer, it seems like our lawn has become their delicatessen. I hope one of the couples decides to stay and raise a family. We’ve had a nest under the deck at the back of the house for the last four years. One year I was here to see the fledglings fly for the first time. What a treat that was!
And what a nice bit of serendipity that another recent arrival, newly-released papers from BoBunny, included a sheet filled with you-know-what: Robins!
Hello!! It’s Wanda here and I’m very glad to be back on the Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Blog sharing another card using the fabulous A Way With Words dies!! Today I’ve combined those dies with the adorable Poppy the Owl die to make a card just perfect for a BFF.
Here’s how I created the card:
- Die cut the words ‘Best’ (#1050 A Way With Words – Best Wishes) and ‘Friends’ (#1052 A Way With Words – Friends) 3 times: Once from Pink and/or Light Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz, once from white cardstock and once from black cardstock, all backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive. Layer the word pieces so the Shimmer Sheetz is on top, the white cardstock is a highlight to the upper left and the black cardstock is a shadow to the lower right. Leave the release sheet covering the adhesive on the back of the bottom layer till step 4. Set aside.*Reminder: The Metal Adaptor Plate (803) is required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube video HERE if you are new to this technique.
- Cut all pieces of #910 Poppy the Owl from Soft Finish Cardstock. Ink pieces as shown and assemble Poppy. Set aside.
- Cut #1033 Leafy Branch from cardstock, spray with ink, set aside to dry. from cardstock, spray with ink, dry, set aside.
- Cut marbled background paper to 4” x 5 1/4” and ink edges. (Piece shown was from my stash, created using Dylusions Ink Sprays and the shaving cream technique. Alternatively, use purchased paper or another piece of Shimmer Sheetz from the Sampler Pack.) Attach all pieces to marbled rectangle as shown, and then to a white top-fold A2 (4.25” x 5.5”) card base. Add ‘forever’ sticker and draw a box around it with the black Pitt pen.
I hope you like this card and are inspired to make a card for your BFF.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
A Way With Words, Best Wishes (1050)
A Way With Words, Friends (1052)
Poppy the Owl (910)
Leafy Branch (1033)
Shimmer Sheetz, Iris Sampler Pack
Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape Sheet
Metal Adaptor Plate (803) (*See step 1)
Marbled Background Paper (see step 4)
Distress Inks – Picked Raspberry, Carved Pumpkin, Twisted Citron
Distress Spray Ink – Mowed Lawn
Archival Ink – Jet Black
idea-ology Chit Chat Sticker
Ranger Glue n’ Seal
Hi there! It’s Suzanne Cannon here today with a closer look at the new word dies from Elizabeth Craft Designs which will be in stores soon.
I’m so honored to be part of the Elizabeth Craft Designs family and look forward to sharing all sorts of ways to make the die cuts from A Way With Words Collection come alive. It’s so exciting to see artwork originally done with broad-edged pen and ink on my drafting table, transformed to die cut words ready to share on cards and multi-media projects!
Here are just a few ideas to help you create clean and simple cards with lots of impact. You just know these cards are going to stand out!
Congratulations uses a bright band of color to make the sentiment pop.
- Form a 5 x 6.5” tent-folded card base from watercolor paper.
- Die cut Congratulations from watercolor paper.
- Open the card. Use a broad brush to spread a band of water measuring approximately 1.5” across the middle of the card front.
- To add color to this card I used Brusho powders and dropped them into the wet surface allowing them to blend across the band. Any highly colored media that blends well can be used such as watercolors or inks. Allow to dry.
- Adhere Congratulations over the band of color.
Friends features a small gold drop shadow to coordinate with the sweet birdies.
- Form a 5 x 7” tent-folded card base using a deeply colored cardstock. This sample uses Core’dinations Aquamarine.
- Die cut Friends from Core’dinations Atoll Aqua and another from gold cardstock. Adhere the gold Friends behind the colored Friends slightly offset so it is just peeking out from behind the colored cardstock.
- Die cut the two birds from gold.
- Adhere the birds and Friends to the card front as shown on sample. I love dimension, so I’ll roll bits of tape or glue dots to attach the elements to my card base. You can also use foam tape, but you have to cut the pieces very small! Use your Elizabeth Craft Designs Fine Pointed Scissors and Fine Pointed Tweezers to make and handle those little bits!
With Sympathy is assembled in muted colors with multiple layers of simple rectangles of cardstock. Don’t worry if the ascenders and descenders of the letters extend past the edges of the panel they’re attached to. It makes your creation more dimensional and interesting!
- Form a 5 x 7” tent-folded card base using patterned paper. (For this sample I used Heartfelt Creations Raindrops on Roses Collection cardstock)
- Die cut With Sympathy from the lightest colored cardstock.
- Cut coordinating panels measuring 6 ½ x 4 ½ ”, 5 ¼ x 3 ¼ ” and 5” x 3”.
- Attach smallest panel to next panel with double-sided tape. Attach this panel to the next larger panel with foam tape. Attach this panel to the card base with foam tape.
- Attach die cut words to top panel with small pieces of foam tape with the help of Fine Pointed Scissor and Fine Pointed Tweezers.
This is just the very tip of the iceberg! The possibilities with these three simple cards are endless. By simply changing the colors and papers you can customize your card for that special person receiving it. Thanks for joining us and happy creating!
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
1060 With Sympathy
506 Transparent Double Sided Tape – 6mm
801 Fine Pointed Tweezers
802 Fine Pointed Scissors