Halloween Spooky Scene Pop-up Bench CardSeptember 14, 2015
Created by Mary Dimercurio Prasad for the Susan Tierney-Cockburn Design Team
Greetings! Mary here, and Halloween is coming! Time for spooky scenes… and Susan’s new CountryScapes are perfect for setting the stage (or creating the card). I combined this with Karen Burniston’s Garden Bench decorated as an old weather-beaten seat under the eerie moon and creepy tree. What else could be lurking nearby?? Bwahaha…
Making the Card
1. Cut two pieces black cardstock to 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches (basically, one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet cut in half). Fold each in half then die cut one with Garden Bench main die as directed on packaging.
2. Protect card around bench with Post-it or other removable tape. Paint “wood” areas with a fairly thick coat of Picket Fence Distress Crackle Paint. Add a very little on the iron works area to give it an aged look (I used my finger). The paint may pick up some black color from the paper but since the bench is in shadow, it works. Once completely dry, sponge over with Black Soot Distress Ink. Optional: wipe surface with slightly damp paper towel to remove a little surface ink while leaving ink in cracks.
3. Adhere other piece of folded black cardstock to back, lining up edges. When applying adhesive, be sure to avoid bench area. Add adhesive to one side, line up with fold on non-sticky side (easier to slide around this way), stick adhesive sides together, then adhere other side. Trim if necessary.
4. Die cut a circle (Ring Accordion) from orange decorative paper or orange cardstock. Use PanPastels to color Moon shadows and highlights. Adhere at top right corner inside card (see photo). Trim from back, flush with card. Die cut a scrap of cardstock with Clouds die to use as a template. Chalk under with light yellow or white PanPastel all across the sky, including over moon in a couple spots. Slightly smudge.
5. From black cardstock, cut pumpkins, cat, raven, bats (2 sets), tree, branches, and grass (see Supplies for links). Glue one set of bats over moon as shown. Add eyes to cat with white gel pen; add yellow or green ink on top (e.g. Twisted Citron Distress Ink) for color. Chalk highlights where moonlight would touch each (light yellow or white PanPastel); I did this with a stump and blended lightly with my finger. I left the grass alone. Trace pumpkins on yellow/orange cardstock. Cut inside the lines. Glue behind pumpkins. Chalk a little orange (around facial features) on pumpkins. Chalk highlights on raven as shown. Optional: add a small eye with black Enamel Accents and a dot of highlight with white gel pen. Add branches to tree in a slightly misshapen way (it’s a spooky tree!); chalk edges towards moon side (you may need to trim some branches to fit inside the card). For added dimension, rub behind elements with large ball stylus.
6. Adhere all elements where shown – using dimensional tape behind pumpkins and raven.
7. Die cut 2nd largest decorator tag from cream decorative paper or cream cardstock. Sponge Rusty Hinge Distress Ink through Shatter stencil in top right corner of tag for a subtle spider web background. Randomly edge/sponge with Black Soot and Rusty Hinge for an aged look. Stamp Happy Halloween and spider in black ink as shown. Optional: add black Enamel Accents to body of spider. Glue bats as pictured. Cut orange paper 1 7/8 inches wide (the width is 6″ from paper pad). Cut spiderweb paper 1 5/8 inches wide. Adhere spiderweb paper centered in orange. Cut to width of card. Wrap Halloween twine around three times, securing in back. Adhere with dimensional tape to bottom of card. Tie a bow with twine. Add tag (with dimensional tape) and bow as shown.
- 780 Garden Bench
- 904 Ring Accordion (Moon/Circle)
- 1094 CountryScapes – Clouds & Grass (Clouds, Grass)
- 1078 CountryScapes – Backyard 3 Apple Orchard (Tree)
- 1080 CountryScapes – Build a Scarecrow (Pumpkins)
- 1082 CountryScapes – Critters 4 (Bats)
- 989 CountryScapes – Critters 1 (Raven and Cat)
- 973 Tags Pivot Card
- PanPastels: Susan’s Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 1 – 30115, Susan’s Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 2 – 30116, Susan’s Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 3 – 30117
- 808 Susan’s Garden 4pcs. All metal Tool Set in Luxury Case
- 810 Large Molding Pad
- Double Sided Adhesive
- Cardstock: Black, Yellow/Orange
- Patterned Paper: Authentique Enchanted 6×6 Paper Pad #ENC009
- Distress Crackle Paint: Picket Fence
- Distress Ink: Black Soot, Twisted Citron or Squeezed Lemonade, Rusty Hinge
- Black Ink: Versafine Onyx Black
- Gel Pen: White
- Enamel Accents: Black
- Stencil: Tim Holtz Shatter THS014
- Stamp Set: Technique Tuesday Halloween Circles
- Twine: Halloween Colors (Black/Orange/White)
- Dimensional Tape