Circle Butterfly Card
By Els van de Burgt
This card is all about playing with circles! I combined Fitted Frames, Stitched Circles and Fitted Circles for the layers and mixed in Through the Lens Wood and Metal Series patterned cardstock. The finished card is flat and measure 5.25”. To display it, I die cut an Easel/Card Stand from 100lb White Soft Finish Cardstock, covered with Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the front so I could glitter it to match the sparkle of the butterfly.
For the card base:
- Counting in from the outside: Die cut the largest Stitched Circle from Time for Teal Soft Finish Cardstock, the largest Fitted Circle from White Soft Finish Cardstock, the next-to-largest Stitched Circle from Metal Series Through the Lens patterned cardstock, the 4th largest Stitched Circle from 100lb White Soft Finish Cardstock, and the 4th largest Fitted Circle from Wood Series patterned cardstock (making sure to center as shown). Also die cut Fitted Frames 5 Lace Circles from 100lb White Soft Finish Cardstock. Distress the largest Fitted Frame with curvy edge using brown ink. (Set aside all other Fitted Frames pieces for future projects.)
- Layer the circles using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to secure all but the white Stitched Circle. Add foam tape beneath that layer for dimension.
For the butterfly:
- It is important to use 85lb White Soft Finish Cardstock for this part of the project (not the 100lb used for the card base and easel!). Put Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet on the front of the cardstock. Die cut a butterfly silhouette (the solid shape) and an overlay, making sure that the adhesive side is facing the cutting blade of the die.
- Take the release sheet off the front of the solid butterfly and adhere it to the BACK (cardstock side) of the overlay as shown in the step by step photos. (The solid shape adds stability to the butterfly.)
- Glittering is done one color at a time, starting with the darkest color.
- Remove the release sheet for the overlay outlines only. Cover with Chocolate Silk Microfine Glitter. Brush off excess, polish with your index finger to bring out the maximum sparkle.
- Next, remove the release sheet from all areas of the butterfly’s wings that will be glittered with Sky Silk Microfine Glitter. Brush off excess, polish. Repeat with remaining areas of wings and the body using Antique Silver as shown, and for the final spots, Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter.
- Position the butterfly at an angle on the card base using foam tape for added dimension.
- Die cut an Easel/Card Stand from 100lb White Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet on the front. Glitter with Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter, brush off excess, polish with your index finger to bring out the maximum sparkle. The easel will lie flat for mailing!
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Fitted Frames 5 Lace Circles
Through the Lens Metal Series
Through the Lens Wood Series
Soft Finish Cardstock White 85LB
Soft Finish Cardstock White 100LB
Colored Soft Finish Cardstock Time for Teal
Clear Double Sided Adhesive 8.5 x 11
Clear Double Sided Adhesive ¼ inch
Fine Pointed Tweezers
Silk Microfine Glitter colors:
Antique Silver, Chocolate, Sky, Cool Diamond
Tim Holts Distress Ink Pads Walnut Stain and Vintage Photo
Ranger Mini Blending Tool
Foam Pads for Blending Tool
so very pretty!!!
Another beautiful creation – love your work Els!
Great card – love the colors & the glitter!
Really great tutorial!
This is amazing!