It’s Karen here! I’m getting ready to move. I’m not terribly excited about it, so much work, but I am excited about having a reason to create special cards to express gratitude for those who help me. Today’s card project is created for my son who LoVeS Starbucks. He has been with me every step of the way and SO helpful. Using the Sliders and Spinners die set, I designed a card with a special surprise that slides up. Here are the steps I used to make this card:
1. Cut a 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ rectangle from a 12″ x 12″ piece of Thinking About – Rio de Janeiro paper. Score at 4 1/4″ and fold in half to make an A2 card base. Die cut a piece of White Soft-Finish Cardstock, 100lbs with the Stitched Rectangles and Fitted Rectangles Dies, one inside the other to create a frame. Cut a smaller piece of patterned paper to fit inside the white cardstock window; adhere to the back of the frame. Refer to photos below.
2. Die-cut two pieces of White Soft Finish Cardstock, 100lbs, with the same Fitted Rectangle Die used to cut the opening in the “window” in Step 1 above. Die cut the slider in one of them so that it is hanging off the edge. Create the two-penny slider mechanism by adhering two pennies together with a pop dot. Slide the mechanism into the opening. Use pop-tape to adhere the other one on top of it. (Note in the second picture below that the pop tape “under” stretches across the opening as a way to stop the penny mechanism.) On the front of the mechanism, cut a piece of white cardstock at 2″x3″ and adhere to the front (to hold the gift card). Also die cut a piece of the pattern cardstock with a Fitted Circle and adhere it to a white Dotted Scallop Circle. Glue that to the top (to use for a pull). Add some glue to the back of the penny and make sure it’s at the top of the mechanism. Use a triple layer of pop tape to adhere the entire mechanism to the front of the card-base. Tip: Watch Els van de Burgt’s YouTube video tutorial if you are new to making slider and spinner cards.
3. Stamp a house from the Row Houses stamps with black permanent ink, and die cut with the coordinating die. Stamp the table and trees in the set and die cut with the Stitched Rectangles die. Color the images with the following Copic markers:
- Mat: E41, E43, Y00;
- Trees & Pots: G40, G43, G46, E17, E97, E13
- Table & House: B12, B14, B16, B24, B26, C1, C3, E41, E17, E97, E13, E31, E33
4. Adhere the tree/table rectangle to the inside of the card.
5. Add some adhesive-backed rhinestones
6. Die cut the word Thanks from White Soft Finish Cardstock that is backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape prior to cutting. Adhere to the card front.
7. Die cut a Dotted Circle from White Soft Finish Cardstock. Cut a Fitted Circle from dot pattern paper and adhere to the top. Add this to the rectangle that goes inside the pocket.
8. Use removable (low tack) tape to adhere a gift card to the card from step 7; tuck it into the pocket so the top of the Dotted Circle can be used as a pull tab to reveal the SURPRISE!
Thanks for stopping by today.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Diamond Dots or other adhesive-backed rhinestones
Great design!! Love how it’s interactive.
Great job Karen, I love the fun pull up surprise element!