It’s Karen Aicken here today, and I wanted to share another way to use the Accordion Circle Card die – to make a flat card! I chose masculine colours for the card stock and Owl Peel-off.
Let’s start with the Owl Peel-off. Els has a wonderful video showing the technique, which you can see HERE.
1. Transfer the Owl and the matching Owl Eyes Peel-offs to the card stock with double sided adhesive on top as shown in the video. Cover the adhesive with the Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter. Put the excess back into the jar and polish the glitter on the Owl with your fingers to bring up the shine. (All of this is covered in Els’ video!)
2. While Els’ video shows using alcohol markers, I coloured these Peel-offs with Tombow Dual Brush markers which are water based. They do require a drying time. I left my colored Peel-offs dry overnight. When dry, fussy cut the owl and the eyes.
3. Turn the cut out Peel-offs over onto scrap paper so the back side is facing up. Go around the edges ON THE BACK SIDE with a black permanent marker. This helps hide the white cut edge from the white card stock backing.
4. Using foam tape, attach the eyes over the main Owl Peel-off and set this aside.
5. Cut a 10 x 5″ piece of Kraft card stock for your card base, score at 5″ which gives you a 5″ square folded card. I prefer not to make top fold cards as I find they collapse when displayed … but you could certainly make this a top fold card if you prefer.
6. Using the Accordion Circle Card die, die cut one accordion page from black card stock. Trim off the connection points, and the long side tab.
7. Adhere the black outer portion (the frame) centered onto the Kraft card base. Note … I found I needed to trim off 1/8″ off the right edge of my folded card base to keep the area outside the frame even all the way around.
8. Cut four of the solid Circle Frame Edges from green card stock and ink all the edges with dye ink and a blending sponge.
9. Emboss the four Circle Frame Edges with the Spring Leaves embossing folder.
10. Adhere the Circle Frame Edges onto the black Accordion frame with your choice of adhesive. (I like a tape runner, but you could also adhere the card stock to double sided adhesive before cutting them, then just peel off the backing and adhere.)
11. Add black Peel-off border strips onto the green frame, trimming the ends at the corners as you do each side. I really like the way the light reflects off the border stickers as well as the Peel-offs – it ties it all in together!
12. Using foam tape, center and attach the coloured Owl Peel-off to the black circle from the accordion page we cut earlier in step 6. Trim off any remaining tabs.
13. Center and attach the black circle inside the circle opening created by the Frame Edges and black Circle Accordion ‘frame’.
14. For the inside, cut a 4″ square of green card stock and a 4-1/4″ square of black. Center the green one on top of the black one and adhere.
15. Cut a 3-3/4″ square of white card stock and ink the edges. Add a border Peel-off across the top and add hand lettering (or a stamp). I also added two leaf Peel-offs from the owl sheet, and coloured them in with markers. Center the white panel on top of the green/black one and adhere.
16. Adhere the layered panel, centered inside the card.
While I made this card for my Dad for Father’s Day, I am doing a demo at Paper Pastimes in Calgary next week showing Elizabeth Craft Designs dies and Peel-offs. I will be bringing this card to share with them as well, as it’s always fun to see new ways to use our supplies.
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies:
White card stock
Kraft card stock
Black card stock
Green card stock
Tombow Dual Brush Markers
Dye ink and blending sponge