Welcome to the final day of the 4th Annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop! We hope you enjoyed the projects from the last 2 days! A few years ago we were looking online for handmade gift ideas and thought it would be great if there was a resource dedicated JUST to handmade gift ideas. Enter the Handmade Holidays hop! We’ve gathered over 100 of our creative blogger friends in the craft industry as well as some of our fellow product manufacturers to bring you a plethora of inspiring gift ideas you can make now to give to your friends, family, and colleagues. Pin and bookmark these ideas for this holiday season and to use throughout the year! Each day of the hop features approximately 30 gift projects and you can “hop” from one blog to another to check them all out.
Shimmer Sheetz Patchwork Card Box
By Els van de Burgt
How about this combination for Handmade Holidays gift giving: Decks of vintage playing cards nestled in a handsome box with Shimmer Sheetz Patchwork on the top! The divided box would also make a nice present for someone who collects Artist Trading Cards, or with the addition of some adhesive backed Velvet Sheets on the interior, it’s just right for jewelry.
To make the box exactly as I did use bronze acrylic paint, Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz, three small allover pattern nature-theme embossing folders plus alcohol inks in pumpkin, light brown, and gold. Switch to a different palette and other embossing folders to suit the décor and taste of the person who will receive the box. (Shimmer Sheetz comes in a wide variety of colors, as do alcohol inks.)
1. Basecoat the box with bronze acrylic paint. When dry, add a second coat of paint. Allow to dry.
2. Cut a 5” x 12” piece of Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz into three 4” x 5” pieces.
3. Emboss each of the pieces with a different embossing folder. As shown, all three folders have leafy patterns. Tip: Substitute any trio you want!
4. Alter the three embossed rectangles by lightly sanding and adding alcohol inks. One side of the pattern will have raised designs; the other side will have de-bossed designs. Alter some of each. Tip: Use a damp paper towel to wipe Shimmer Sheetz after sanding.
5. Cut each of the three 4” x 5” pieces into TWO 2” x 5” strips. Cut each 2” x 5” strip into FOUR pieces: TWO 2” x 1.5” pieces, TWO 2” x 1” pieces.
6. Trace the size of the lid of the box onto paper. Arrange pieces as shown or as you prefer, filling the space. Tip: Keep leftover pieces for other projects.
7. Cut a rectangular piece of Transparent Adhesive Sheet to cover the top (flat) portion of the lid of the box. Expose the adhesive and, working one piece at a time, move the Shimmer Sheetz patchwork pieces onto the adhesive.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
SS0218 Shimmer Sheetz in Fire Opal Gemstone (or color of choice)
E119 Swirly Curves Embossing Folder* (*or 3 folders of choice)
Walnut Hollow – Basswood Card Box 1704OP
Other – Bronze acrylic paint, 1” flat paint brush; Alcohol inks in pumpkin/orange, light brown, gold; Ink applicator tool; sanding block
Are you ready for lots more creative handmade gift ideas and projects??
Follow along on our blog hop! Simply click on each of the links below to be taken to that post with additional information and photos on how to create a handmade gift project. Have fun and pin away!
Follow our Handmade Holidays Gift Ideas Pinterest board for even more inspiration!
A huge thank you to our sponsors for this hop – please visit their blogs & websites below and follow them. And be sure to come back tomorrow for another 30+ amazing Handmade Gift Ideas!
Clearsnap || Ellison Educational Equipment || Walnut Hollow || Graphic45 || Westcott || ICE Resin || Therm O Web || Rowland Industries || Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L || Pink and Main || Elizabeth Craft Designs || The Buckle Boutique || Neat and Tangled