It’s Jackeline here with a project that was inspired by the wonderful Butterflies die sets part of the Els van de Burgt Studio Collection, and my visit to the Butterfly Pavilion with my family. I created a card in black and white tones to highlight the butterfly using Silk Microfine Glitter.
Let’s get started:
1. Cut a rectangle piece of 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ in black cardstock. Score at 4 1/4″ and fold in half to create your card base.
2. Apply a piece of Transparent Double-Sided Tape to white cardstock large enough to die cut:
- The Frames using the new Fitted Frames 3.
- The flowers using the new die Flower Cluster.
- One butterfly silhouette using the new die Butterfly 1.
- One Small butterfly silhouette using the new die Small Butterfly.
To built the Butterflies:
3. Die cut one big butterfly overlay and one small butterfly overlay on the release sheet from the tape.
4. To apply the Silk Microfine Glitter: peel off the release sheet from the big butterfly silhouette and place the overlay mask on top.
5. Start applying the Orange Silk Microfine Glitter glitter from the inside to the outside of the wings. Tap it off and proceed with the next color glitter. I used Solar Gold.
6. Brush off the excess and polish. Before removing the mask make sure to clean any glitter left attached to the mask.
7. Take off the mask. Place the body on top of the butterfly and apply black glitter.
8. Die cut one big butterfly silhouette and one small butterfly silhouette in yellow cardstock.
9. Assemble the butterfly, placing the glitter one on top of the one die cut in yellow cardstock using double sided adhesive.
10. Repeat this process with the small butterfly.
For more info on how to use this technique, watch a tutorial by Els Here
Decorating the card:
11. From your die cut Fitted Frames 2, remove the release sheet of the largest frame and apply to card front. You can use the other frames for a next project.
12. Remove the release sheet of the die cut Flower Cluster and apply to card front as show (left bottom corner inside fitter frame).
13. Decorate the center of the flowers from the Flower Cluster with Gold Glitter Dots. Also apply some Glitter Dots to the center of the flower swirls and inside the frame as shown.
14. Apply butterflies as shown using double sided adhesive.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
Elizabeth Craft Designs
1063 Fitted Frames 3 Curvy Rectangles
1068 Flower Cluster 1
1072 Small Butterfly
1073 Butterfly 1
502 Transparent Double Sided Tape Sheet – 8.5″ x 11″ – 5 pack
638 Solar Gold – Silk Microfine Glitter
601 Basic Black – Silk Microfine Glitter
613 Orange – Silk Microfine Glitter
7018 Gold Glitter Dots
Black, White and Yellow Cardstock