Yogi here with a decorative home decor item for your festive table or mantel. I usually just make cards during this time of year, but thought I’d make something a little out of my norm… BIG GRIN.
I LOVE the Els van de Burgt Studio Poinsettia, Holly Leaves and Berry Branch and Suzanne Cannon, A Way With Words dies. I reach for them continuously.
Safety first: This project is for waxed battery-operated candles only, not the wick and wax variety.
- Cut a piece of tissue paper and copy paper a little larger than the size of your die. Paint one side of the tissue paper with the Deco Art Dazzling Metallics “Emperor’s Gold” acrylic paint (or paint of choice).
2. (Note – I’m using a layer of copy paper to protect my tissue paper.)
The sandwich: with the cut edge of your die facing up (Merry Christmas), copy paper, tissue paper – painted side down (facing the die) and the rest of your machine’s cutting surfaces. PS I ALWAYS use a metal adapter plate to help with cutting, but also to keep my acrylic plates pristine… run thru machine.
Remove from die, while still layered, remove negative pieces, then carefully separate the tissue from the copy paper.
3. Create a cradle to hold your candle steady using a piece of copy paper with the ends rolled toward the center, then just place your candle within the cradle.
I use Ranger’s “Heat It” tool because it produces less ‘wind’ than many heat tools and my tissue paper doesn’t blow away…
Position the tissue paper word and while holding it down, start heating a small area of the candle. You will start to get a glossy wet look. Stop heating and use the metal spatula, gently press the tissue into the melted wax. It will cool rapidly so you need to work quickly.
Once this first section is adhered with the wax, the rest goes real easy. Do small areas at a time until all adhered.
4. Cut at least a 4″ circle from heavy box type cardboard (or chipboard (at least an 1″ larger than your pillar candle (3″)). Die cut with your machine. It will not cut through, but will give you a good guiding cut line to continue the cut with your x-acto knife.
Paint the surface and edges with the gold paint.
5. Die cut your various Shimmer Sheetz elements. Two large solid base Poinsettia pieces from red metallic, two pink Iris filigree pieces, 3 green holly leaves, 2 bronze metallic berry branches.
6. Place the filigree onto the solid poinsettia base matching the petal shapes and while holding both together, fold down 2 of the petals above the center dots. Shimmer Sheetz holds the folds nicely. The side view should look like a right angle. Place a drop of hot glue onto the dot area of the solid base the size of a pea, then press the filigree piece down. The glue will seep through the little holes and create a nice bond.
Place a line of hot glue about an inch long, along the outer edge of the circle and press the poinsettia down to adhere.
NOTE: For the best fit, leave at least a 1/8″ gap between the candle and the Shimer Sheetz elements when holder is finished.
Repeat with 2nd poinsettia.
Place a drop of glue in the center of poinsettia and carefully press the large half pearl down.
Cut the berry branch into 2 smaller pieces. Put a drop of hot glue on the end of the berry branch pieces, working one piece at a time place a branch on each end. Be careful – the glue slightly softens the branch but when cooled the branch will be stiff again.
Put drops of Liquid Pearls “White Opal” onto the berries.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Els van de Burgt Studio – Poinsettia (1067)
Els van de Burgt Studio – Holly Leaves and Berry (926)
Els van de Burgt Studio – Berry Branch (758)
A Way With Words, Merry Christmas (1056)
Shimmer Sheetz – Iris Sampler (SS 0227)
Shimmer Sheetz – Metallic Sampler (SS 0231)
Shimmer Sheetz – Bronze Metallic (SS 0215)
Waxed battery-operated pillar candle (at least 3″ diameter)
Gold metallic acrylic paint
Die cutting machine
Ranger Heat It tool (low-temp heat tool)
Scrap cardboard or chipboard
Hot glue gun
Liquid Pearls (White Opal)
Large half pearl gems
fun project Yogi! Love the Quietfire Design Way with words die in the shimmer sheetz