Friendly Robins Card
By Judi Kauffman
Hello, everybody, it’s Judi Kauffman, back as today’s guest designer. My card project was inspired by what I see out my window: a round-up of recently-arrived robins, at least a dozen at a time. Now that it’s warmer, it seems like our lawn has become their delicatessen. I hope one of the couples decides to stay and raise a family. We’ve had a nest under the deck at the back of the house for the last four years. One year I was here to see the fledglings fly for the first time. What a treat that was!
And what a nice bit of serendipity that another recent arrival, newly-released papers from BoBunny, included a sheet filled with you-know-what: Robins!
- Fold a 6” x 12” piece of light green speckled cardstock in half, forming a 6” square left side-fold card base.
- Using Clear Double Sided Tape to secure the pieces, top the card base with a 5.25” square of sage green cardstock, centered. Then add a 4.5” square cut from the ‘A’ side (front) of 12” ‘Garden Bloom’ cherry blossom patterned paper, centered.
- Die cut a Square Grapevine Wreath from Bronze Metallic Shimmer Sheetz. Cut a second Square Grapevine Wreath from muted reddish brown cardstock. Die cut the word ‘Friends’ from Bronze Metallic Shimmer Sheetz that is backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet or Tape. Reminder: A Metal Adaptor Plate or Sizzix Big Shot Precision Base Plate is required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube video HERE if you are new to this technique.
4. Die cut the 4.25” long Stitched Oval from Light Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz. Lightly sand the oval. Sanding diagonally in one direction and then again in the opposite direction to tone down the sparkle will create the look of Florentine finish jewelry. Refer to the photo above.
5. Fussy-cut five robins from the ‘B’ side (‘Back to Basics’ side) of the Garden Bloom paper that was used for the square in step 2. Note that they are all different. Yes, this wastes some of the paper, but you can turn it over and die cut small flowers from the scraps, cherry blossom pattern side facing up.
6. Use the project photo as a reference; complete the card front in the following order: Cardstock wreath, Shimmer Sheetz wreath turned in a different direction so the branches are offset, Shimmer Sheetz oval (with foam tape for added dimension), the word ‘Friends’ and then the robins. Tuck the robins into the grapevine branches so they look comfortable. Overlap the birds just slightly in pairs at the upper right and bottom left corners; use foam tape for dimension.
7. Option, not shown: Add tiny Black Glitter Dots peel-offs if you want sparkly-eyed robins. (Smallest of the four sizes on the peel-off sheet.)
Note – If mailed in a square envelope this card will require additional postage.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
BoBunny Secret Garden Collection 12” ‘Garden Bloom’ paper
Solid color cardstock in light sage and light green speckled (flannel finish)
Fine grit sanding block