Hi Crafty Fiends,
It’s Frances here and it’s my turn to post a tutorial for the Die Cut Design Team today. Alcohol Inks are becoming increasingly popular again lately, so I decided to pull mine out to have a play. I decided to create a night sky background using various colors of alcohol inks and then create a silhouette scene using the Reindeer die set. This card was fairly quick to create so would be good for mass production if anyone still has a batch of Christmas cards to make. If you haven’t been reminded lately, there are only 10 days to go!!!!
Here is how I created my card:
Step 1 –
- Create an alcohol ink background using a piece of 5 inch x 7 inch white Yupo paper and alcohol inks. Stonewashed, Denim, Stream, Eggplant and Silver Metallic Alcohol Inks were used to create the background above.
- Place some white acrylic paint onto a clear block and water down slightly. Flick paint all over the cardstock to create a starry night scene. (Tip for beginners: If you haven’t spattered paint before, practice on a scrap of dark color cardstock till you get the hang of it.)
- Allow to dry.
- Cut the panel to 5 inches x 5 3/4 inches.
Step 2 –
- Use the Reindeer die set to cut the following from black cardstock:
- (2) Snowbanks
- (2) large Birch Trees
- (1) small Birch Tree
- (1) Pine Tree
- (1) Leaping Reindeer
- (1) Standing Reindeer
Step 3 –
- Adhere the two snowbanks to the bottom of the card. Note: Turn one of the snowbanks over to reverse it so the two pieces to in different directions rather than letting them match. This will make a nicer looking scene. Adhere the upper snowbank to the card about 5/8 inch up from the bottom. Adhere the bottom snowbank to the card using foam tape, lining up the bottom edge with the bottom of the starry panel.
- Adhere birch trees to the cardstock. Note: Some of the trees will overlap the upper snowbank and some will go under the top snowbank.
- Using foam tape for dimension, adhere pine tree to the left side of card so that part of the tree is hanging over the card.
- Trim off anything that extends past the edges of the starry panel.
- Add the two reindeer to the scene using foam tape for dimension.
Step 4 –
- Layer the panel onto a piece of White Soft Finish Cardstock (5 1/4 inches x 6 inches)
- Create a side-fold card base from dark blue cardstock. Folded size: 5 5/8 inches x 6 3/8 inches.
- Adhere decorated silhouette panel to card base.
Step 5 –
- Die cut “Merry Christmas” from White Soft Finish Cardstock and adhere to the bottom snowbank.
Step 6 Inside of Card –
- Cut a piece of White Soft Finish Cardstock to 5 inches x 5 3/4 inches.
- Layer the white cardstock to a black cardstock panel that measures 5 1/4 inches x 6 inches.
- Adhere to inside of card.
Step 7 –
- Using black ink, stamp “All is calm All is bright” from the Holiday Cheer Clear Stamp set to the centre of the white panel.
- Die cut one large birch tree and one leaping reindeer from black cardstock. Adhere images to card, referring to photo above for placement.
Thank you for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my tutorial!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Cardstock – Black, Dark Blue
Inks – Black
Ranger Alcohol Inks – Stonewashed, Denim, Stream, Eggplant, Silver Metallic
Ranger Blender Solution
Blending Tool and Felt Pads
Picket Fence Distress Paint
Love that you designed the inside of the card!!
So beautiful. Just what I was looking for.
Awesome stary night woodsy scene!