Hi everyone! This is Diane here with a suggested Christmas project.
How much fun is it to be able to give a handmade gift to the ones you love at Christmas time? Having a big family, I like to start early on making those special gifts that will say how much I appreciate the important people in my life! Here’s a new one made with the fabulous new Happy Frame, Poinsettias and Santa’s Sleigh dies.
I hope you enjoy it!
Inside the box:
Let’s start by making the box.
Step 1 – Frame of the box:
- Using the Happy Frame die, cut it 8 times from 100 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock to make 2 frames.
- Also die cut 2 other pieces that will be used for the divisions inside the box.
Step 2 – Build the frames:
- Using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to adhere the pieces, assemble both frames following Els’s directions found on the video here.
- Set aside the remaining 2 frame pieces.
- Using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape, glue the frames together with one on top of the other.
Step 3- – Decorating the box:
- Adhere a 33″ piece of ribbon no wider than 3\4 of an inch backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the sides of the box, starting and finishing in the middle of the front of the box. Put a dot of hot glue where the ends of the ribbon overlap.
Step 4 – Front panel of the box:
- Cut a 8 inch x 8 inch square from 100 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Cut a 8 inch x 10 inch rectangle from 100 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Score and fold the 8 inch x 10 inch piece along the long side at 1 inch and at 2 inches.
Step 5 – Front panel of the box:
- With Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape, adhere the 8 x 10 piece so that the first inch is underneath the box and the second inch on the side of the box. Note – these are the score lines from step 4.
- With Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape, adhere the 8 X 8 piece to the back of the box.
Step 6 – Inside of the box:
- Score the two remaining pieces die cut with the Happy Frame die to create a mountain in the middle with one tab on each side (as show in the picture below).
- Put Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on each tab and on one side in the middle.
- Adhere the sides of the middle part.
- Adhere the tabs inside the box to create 3 sections. As shown, one section is wider to accommodate the teabags on the left (2 ¾ inches). The two remaining sections on the right are the same size (2 ¼ inches). Divide the box as you choose – three equal sections or only two.
- Cut 3 pieces of green patterned cardstock 7 inches long by the width of each section (slightly narrower to ensure a good fit).
- Put Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back of the 3 green strips and adhere inside each section.
Step 7 – Santa’s sleigh:
- Using the Santa’s Sleigh die set, cut the sleigh twice out of 85 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Color one sleigh with red markers. Antique the sleigh with metallic wax.
- Color the skis and the top of the sleigh with gold metallic paint on both of the pieces.
- Cut off the skis and the top border section from the white sleigh and adhere to the red piece to add dimension.
Step 8 – The poinsettias:
- Using the Garden Notes Small Poinsettia die set, cut each of the flower units 6 times from 85 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Also die cut the leaves 6 times from green cardstock.
- (No need to die cut the small beads from the plate as green Secret Garden Prills will be used for the centers of the poinsettias.)
- To color and shape the poinsettias follow Susan Tierney-Cockburn’s tutorial here.
Step 9 – Assembling the top of the box:
- Cut an 8 X 8 square from red patterned cardstock.
- Cut a 7 X 7 square from 100 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Cut a 6 ¾ X 6 ¾ inches square from black cardstock.
- Cut a 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 square from ModaScrap Wood Effect Patterned Paper.
- Cut a 10 inch piece of ribbon (same as used for edges of box).
- Cut and fold in half a rectangle of black cardstock measuring ¾ X 1 ½ inch.
- Adhere the red pattern square on top of the box using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape.
- Adhere the ribbon across the top of the box, leaving 1 ½ inch unattached on the front of the box.
- Glue down a Velcro dot using a hot glue gun on the base of the box.
- Sandwich the end of the ribbon between the folded small black cardboard rectangle and glue with the hot glue gun. Underneath the black square (rectangle folded in half) glue the other piece of the Velcro, also with the hot glue gun.
- With Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape adhere the other layers of paper (in this order: white, black, Wood Effect) making sure that the stripes in the wood grain are vertical as shown in the photo below.
Step 10 – Stiched circles and gifts:
- Using the Stiched Circles die set, cut the second largest circle from 85 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Using the Santa’s Sleigh die set, cut the 3 gifts from the same red pattern cardstock and the gift bows from 85 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Paint the bows with the metallic gold paint and adhere on the gifts with Kids Choice Glue.
Step 11 – Putting it all together:
- Using Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape, adhere the white circle to the middle of the ModaScrap Wood Effect Patterned Paper square.
- Put some foam adhesive to the back of the sleigh and adhere it to the center of the white circle.
Step 12 – Some green accents:
- Using the Garden Notes – White Pine Pinecone & Bough die set, cut 12 pieces of bough from 85 lb White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Color the pieces with markers and shape with Susan’s Garden 4 pcs. All Metal Tool Set. Video tutorial for shaping the bough is here .
Step 13 – The big finish:
- Adhere gifts with foam tape.
- Use Kids Choice Glue to adhere the poinsettias and boughs and the green Prills in the center of the poinsettias.
- To imitate snow or frost, pull some filaments from a cotton ball and glue them to the tips of some of the branches.
And there you go with the finished box!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Artalchemy Sparks – Acrylic paint, color: Ginger Magic
Artalchemy Metallique Wax – color: Rich Copper