It’s Joset here today sharing this Sea Shells & Lighthouse card with you. Although we still have a little bit of snow on the ground here in Banff, I felt like creating a summery card. I used the Lighthouse, Shells Large, Shells Small, Fitted Rectangles and Stitched Rectangles dies, as well as my favorite Soft Finish Cardstock from Elizabeth Craft Designs. And, of course, my go-to Distress Ink to add a touch of color. Let’s get started!
1. Cut Pink Peach Soft Finish Cardstock 5 3/4″ x 9″. Score at 4 1/2 and fold in half to create your card base.
2. Cut rectangle from White Soft Finish Cardstock using the largest rectangle die from the Fitted Rectangles. Use an ink applicator tool or sponge to add color at the edges with Tattered Rose Distress Ink. Adhere to card front.
3. Cut another rectangle from the same cardstock, this time with the second largest rectangle in the Stitched Rectangles die set. Add Tattered Rose Distress Ink to the edges as in step 2. Layer to card front, centered.
4. Die cut 1 solid lighthouse, 1 lighthouse overlay, 1 lighthouse balcony and 1 anchor from White Soft Finish Cardstock. For the overlay and balcony, back the cardstock with Double Sided Adhesive first before die cutting. Save the die cut leftover pieces from the bottom part of the lighthouse and the lighthouse door as you’re going to color these and place them back into their original spots later in the project.
5. Color lighthouse overlay and the 3 leftover die cut pieces with Tattered Rose Distress Ink.
6. Adhere the lighthouse overlay to the solid lighthouse and place the die cut pieces back where they began.
7. To complete your lighthouse, adhere the balcony.
8. Die cut various sea shells from White Soft Finish Cardstock using Shells Large and Shells Small. For each shell, die cut a solid piece and the matching overlay (for the overlay, apply Double Sided Adhesive on the back of the cardstock first before die cutting) and save the leftover die cut pieces from the overlay.
Now it’s time to color the shells. Use the same method for all of them as you see in the step by step photos showing the scallop shell.
9. Color the bottom part of the solid shell and the shell overlay with Tattered Rose Distress Ink.
10. Adhere the overlay on the solid shell and place the leftover die cut pieces back where they began. For the large scallop shell, leave out the small pieces at the bottom. Because that area on the solid shell has been colored, leaving those off creates extra dimension.
11. Using your bending tool and Distress Ink, gently apply a touch of ink in a circular motion over the complete shell to add some color to the leftover pieces you just placed back in their original ‘parking places’. Shade the bottom of the shell with just a bit more ink.
12. Repeat step 9, 10 and 11 to color the rest of the shells. Use the leftover die cut pieces from the overlays where you would like to add more dimension or just color the solid and overlay as I did with the two smallest shells and discard the leftovers.
13. Adhere lighthouse and shells to card front as shown. Overlap the shells and use one or more layers of foam tape for added dimension. Add string to the anchor, then pierce a hole at the top right corner of the card and tie the anchor in place. Note that the shells are at angles and the starfish is centered below the lighthouse as the final (topmost) layer.
I hope you enjoyed creating this Sea Shells & Lighthouse Card made with the lovely Soft Finish Cardstock and Distress Ink!
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Tattered Rose Distress Ink
Mini Ink Blending Tool
String and Piercing Tool