Made for the Susan Tierney-Cockburn Design Team
Hello, Mary here – I wanted to make a winter scene for Rudy with some traditional holiday elements: Snow, poinsettias, garlands, holly and berries. Susan’s CountryScapes dies easily create the perfect backdrop for holiday scenes.
Making the Card
1. Cut white cardstock 7 x 10 inches; fold in half for a card base. Cut blue snowflake-patterned paper 4 3/4 x 6 3/4 inches (DCWV The Christmas & Winter 180 Stack). Adhere to card base.
2. Cut white cardstock into two strips about 1 1/2 x 5 inches. Use Outdoor Edges hills die to create snow hills. Adhere to bottom of card as shown – use dimensional tape for the bottom hills to pop them up.
3. Watch this video for cutting the cardstock and assembling one of Karen Burniston’s Characters. You will make Rudy the Reindeer in a similar manner.
Measure and cut off amounts of cardstock in each color for the appropriate parts: black – reindeer base and hooves, dark brown – reindeer face/body, white -reindeer eyes and fence snow (CountryScapes Backyard 4 – Snow Décor), kraft – Country Fence 1, cream – reindeer antlers and flower pot (CountryScapes – Backyard 1), red – reindeer nose, green – poinsettia leaves (2 sets) and garlands. Add these to double sided adhesive. (I used the large roll.) Die cut. Assemble Rudy the Reindeer.
4. Die cut poinsettia flowers from red cardstock (8 total, cut 4 times). Shape petals by rubbing small stylus down each and rubbing in the middle to form a slight cup shape. Die cut holly leaves (Garden Notes – Holiday Holly & Berries) from green cardstock, 3 sets (15 total). Draw a line down the middle of each with the pointed leaf tool.
5. Make a wreath from the holly leaves around the reindeer’s neck by gluing each in place at one end. To add berries, use a toothpick to apply Rouge Liquid Pearls but do not add more than one in each place at a time, letting them dry in between, otherwise they will merge together.
6. Adhere each of the 5-petal poinsettia layers to a 6-petal poinsettia layer, offsetting them. Add Liquid Pearls Avocado and Buttercup to centers with toothpick, a few dots (not touching) at a time, letting them dry in between applications.
7. Adhere fence, snow on fence, garlands, and Rudy as shown (optional: add dimensional tape behind Rudy’s head and the flower pot to pop them up). Adhere pot, poinsettias, and leaves as shown.
8. Stamp Merry Christmas sentiment in green ink where shown. Adhere snowflake embellishments where shown.
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies
- Cardstock: White, Black, Dark Brown, Kraft, Cream, Green, Red
- Patterned Paper: DCWV The Christmas & Winter 180 Stack (CP-002-00817)
- Dimensional Tape
- Glossy Accents
- Optional: Clear Wink of Stella
- Liquid Pearls: Buttercup, Avocdo, Rouge
- Ink: Olympia Green (VersaFine)
- Embellishments: Snowflakes