It’s Frances Byrne here. It’s the 1st of October, which means there are only 85 days until Christmas! Today I am sharing a Christmas themed Block Card which folds flat to be mailed and can be used as a card or an ornament or centre piece if you so desired. Of course this style of card can be used for any occasion. One thing that won’t change when you create these is that the Garden Patch – 1 3/8″ & Mini Daffodils die set is perfect for your layering squares on this card.
Here is how I created the card:
1. Creating the base of the card
- From red card cut a piece of card 12 inches x 4.5 inches and another piece that is 1 inch x 4.5inches.
- Score the 12 inch x 4.5 inch card at 1.5 inch intervals in both directions so that you get 1.5 inch squares all over the card.
- Using the diagram above as a guide, cut along all solid lines. This will remove 4 squares from your card and will give you 3 pieces that are loose on 3 sides.
- Score the 1 inch x 4.5 inch piece of card in half so it measures ½ inch x 4.5 inch.
- Attach the small piece of card to the end of your bigger piece of card so that it now measures 12.5 inches x 4.5 inches. (on the diagram below it is on the left side)
- Fold along the score lines shown in red in the diagram above. This would be the first score line after the 1 inch piece was added, the 4 score lines which are associated with the “loose’ pieces in the middle and the two score lines at the middle back.
- Fold the small piece at the left end of the larger piece under (so it is now flush with the end. Turn the card over so that the back is now facing you and apply adhesive to the top of the thin piece of card we just folded over. Fold the opposite side (right side in diagram) over so it is flush with the edge. (left side in diagram)
- Apply adhesive to the two “loose” pieces on the top right hand side of the card and are on the bottom layer (dark coloured on diagram below) and then fold them down so that they adhere to the panels to the left of them. You should be left with something which looks like the diagram on the below.
- Now your block card is ready to stand up using the pre folded score lines (red lines in diagram above).
2. Decorating –
- Use the large grid die from the Garden Patch – 1 3/8″ & Mini Daffodils die set and die cut three grids from designer paper. TIP – before die cutting the designer paper adhere Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the back of the designer paper which will make applying the squares to the card easier.
- Attach the 1 3/8 inch squares to each of the 1 1/2 inch scored squares of the card. (You may prefer to do this step before you stand your card up). It is optional whether you add designer paper squares to the base of the card, you could just cut a card 1 3/8 inch x 4 3/8 inch and adhere that to the base … this would be where you would write any messages.
3. From the Candle Die die cut the following:
- 1 x Candle from white card which has Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the front.
- 1 x Candle Drip from white card which has Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the front.
- 10 x Holly Leaves from green card. Sponge leaves with green ink after die cutting.
- 10 x Fern Leaves from green card
- 5 x Flower from red card
- 5 x Flower Centre from yellow card
- 1 x Large Candle Flame from Yellow Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz
- 1 x Medium Candle Flame from Orange Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz which has Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back.
- Remove the protective backing from the Candle and Candle Drip. Cover the adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter, polish glitter with your finger and brush excess off.
- Assemble Candle, flower and leaves to the front of the card referring to photo above for placement.
4. Assemble remaining flowers and leaves and attach three of the flowers to the squares on the top of the card (refer to photo above). The last flower will be used on the back.
5. Use the Noel sentiment die and die cut a piece of cream card which has Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back.. Die cut the sentiment three times, layer together and adhere to the top left hand square on the front (refer to photo for placement).
6. Attach the remaining flower to the top square on the back of the card as per photo above.
7. Using the Merry Christmas Sentiment from the Merry Christmas Pop Up Card die set, die cut the sentiment 3 times from Cream card which has Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the back of it. Layer sentiments together and attach to card as per photo above.
8. Your card will fold flat for mailing.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Supplies:Elizabeth Craft Designs: 1002 Garden Notes 1 3/8″ & Mini Daffodils 919 Candle 754 Noel 1039 Pop It Ups Merry Christmas Pop Up 0108 Yellow Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz 0109 Orange Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz 508 Transparent Double Sided Tape 64mm 639 Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter Other: Cardstock: White; Cream; Red; Green Designer Paper: Graphic 45 Twas the Night Before Christmas Up on the Housetops 12″ x 12″ designer paper Green Ink Foam Tape