Hi! It’s Marsha here!
Are you into the colouring for adults craze? Here in the Netherlands it’s THE thing right now and there are colouring books for adults available everywhere!
Have you wondered how you can combine the colouring with your love for die-cutting and cardmaking? Well, I have… And here’s what I came up with:
And here are the steps to create the tag:
1. Die-cut about 20 umbrella tops out of white cardstock or watercolour paper. I needed a total of 17 umbrella tops to complete the tag, but it’s good to have a few to choose from.
Be mindful of the paper you are using. It needs to be suitable for the markers or pens you will be using later on. I coloured with Sakura Koi Coloring Brush Pens and I used them in combo with the 270 gr Soft Finish Cardstock.
It worked well for me, but if you know you love to layer with fairly wet waterbased markers the 4 x 9″ watercolour paper could be a better choice for you.
2. Colour your umbrella tops. Wait until the ink on the umbrella tops is dry before you doodle on them with a permanent fine tip pen.
You can also doodle on the blank umbrellas first and then colour them in. Test if your pen is really waterproof before you go this route. I know from experience that you can’t trust a pen not to bleed when you go over the lines with wet media, even if it says ‘waterproof’ on the pen!
3. Watercolour a moody background for the tag. I used the Koi Brush Pens to watercolour with and I did it on a big sheet of Soft Finish Cardtock so I could cut it to size later on.
To watercolour with the Brush Pens, you scribble some of the ink onto a saucer or a plastic lid and then you pick the ink up with a wet watercolour brush.
Let the watercoloured cardstock air dry to prevent from buckling.
4. Cut the watercoloured cardstock to 4,5 x 8,5 “. Die-cut it with the Tags & More 9 Sparkle Set.
5. Add some ‘rain’ to the tag with a light grey pen or marker.
6. Adhere the umbrella tops to the tag with Transparent Double Sided Tape.
7. Finish the tag with a handwritten sentiment or quote and add any additional details you wish.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
928 Rainy Day
1034 Flourishes & Branches
1077 Tags & More 9 Sparkle
PSF102 Soft Finish Cardstock 8.5″ X 11″ 270gr /100Lb 10 pack
505 Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape – 3 mm
Waterbased markers/pens (Sakura Koi Coloring Brush Pens)
Black permanent fine liner (Sakura Pigma Micron)
What a wonderful way to use the umbrella die.
Love all the colors & how you use the umbrella die.
Hi Raquel! Thank you so much!
Love it – all the umbrellas and the wonderful sentiment.
Thank you Marjorie!
Love it. Simply brilliant to use the die-cut in this way.
I love this colorful tag and the sentiment. Beautiful.
Thank you! I love the sentiment too: it’s a quote attributed to Dolly Parton!