I like to make flat egg-shaped Shimmer Sheetz ornaments to send in my Easter cards. Sometimes I’ll use Elizabeth Craft Designs Easter Egg outline peel-offs as the starting point. This year it’s the new Joset Designs Easter Eggs die set that stole my heart.
As always, I’ve worked within a quirky color palette – Fire Opal, Australian Opal, Turquoise, and Ruby Gemstone and Bronze Metallic among my choices, but all of the eggs could be switched to bright hues or soft pastels. Shimmer Sheetz is available in over 20 colors including Iridescent in two shades of pink, white, purple, green, yellow, bright orange and red. An Iridescent Sampler Pack might be a fun way to have lots of choices.
Reminders: Shimmer Sheetz is waterproof and colorfast, as are the Glitter Dots and other peel-offs used for the eggs. These ornaments (except for the strawberry eggs) can be hung in the garden as well as displayed indoors. A Metal Adaptor Plate or Precision Base Plate is required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz.
By Judi Kauffman
1. For double-layer ornaments, back Shimmer Sheetz in color(s) of choice with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet and a second piece of Shimmer Sheetz. Option: Skip the adhesive and second layer of Shimmer Sheetz, die cut a single layer only. Ornaments will still be sturdy, but I think double-layer ornaments have a nicer heft to them.
2. Die cut egg shapes in any or all of the 3 sizes in the die set. Remember, a Metal Adaptor Plate is required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube video HERE if you are new to this technique. Option: Using alcohol inks applied with an ink applicator tool alter the SS before die cutting.
3. For decorative overlays, back another piece of Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Die cut overlays and attach to egg shapes. Overlays can match the egg (like the ‘chocolate’ egg shown above made from Bronze Metallic SS) or contrast with the egg (like the first photo shown at the start of this blog post and again in the close-up below step 5).
4. Emboss or de-boss eggs. Lightly sand the surface to bring out the core color. The sanded Ruby Gemstone eggs above reveal a silver core color; the sanded Blue Iridescent eggs shown below reveal white.
5. Add low-relief or flat embellishments. Shown: Glitter Dots and/or lacy gold border peel-offs, adhesive-backed half-pearls. Note that border peel-offs can be positioned in repeating rows on the diagonal or straight across the egg.
6. To create Ruby Gemstone strawberry eggs, shown below, die cut Green Velvet Adhesive Sheet sepal/stem pieces using the dies from Joset Designs’ Strawberries die set. Lightly sand the eggs BEFORE positioning the sepal/stem piece at the top. Add a TINY touch of talcum powder, corn starch or glitter to the BACK of the Velvet piece that extends beyond the top of the egg so it will no longer be sticky! Place the strawberry eggs onto a piece of craft foam and use an awl to gently indent rows of tiny evenly spaced ‘seeds’ on the surface. (Don’t use too much hand pressure or you’ll pierce all the way through.)
7. Time for the loops! Place finished eggs (face up) onto a piece of craft foam and use an awl to pierce a tiny hole at the top of each egg. Thread a needle with fine gold or silver metallic cord; pull the cord through the hole and tie at the top to create a loop.
Here’s a look at all twelve Shimmer Sheetz Easter Egg Ornaments:
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Shimmer Sheetz in Ruby, Turquoise, Australian Opal, and Fire Opal Gemstone; Bronze Metallic; Blue Iridescent (or other colors of choice)
Strawberries (for strawberry eggs)
Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet
Glitter Dots Peel-off stickers in color(s) of choice
Decorative Border Peel-offs in Gold (shown: #1276)
Metal Adaptor Plate (required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz)
Velvet Adhesive Sheet in Green (for strawberry eggs)
Embossing folders of choice (shown: Karen Burniston Damask, Elizabeth Craft Designs Spring Leaves)
Piece of craft foam or a piercing pad
Fine braid in gold and silver
Needle with large eye (big enough for fine braid)
Alcohol inks and ink applicator tool (Optional)