Mary here to share a fairly easy rectangle accordion card. The new Birds and Birdhouse dies from Joset Designs are super cute. They come with winter accessories but I decided to use them for a summer look, with fluffy clouds in the background and bright colors. The birds may look like they are kissing but they are really just dancing beak to beak.
Making the Card
1. Die Cut 3 panels from patterned paper (Abrianna by K&Company) using Accordion Rectangle: cut 2 from the blue side and 1 from the purple side. Line up panels so tabs are all on right. Cut tabs off last as directed in packaging. Decorate first, before assembly
2. Die cut 2 sets of Katie Flourish Frame Edges from both turquoise and pink/purple cardstock (i.e. 4 short and 4 long sides of each color). Adhere to opposite colored panels (the first panel will have them on both sides since it will be the front, seen when the card is folded flat).
3. Die cut bird house, birds, wings, feet, and an extra heart from light purple cardstock. Die cut 2 sets of roofs, 2 outline hearts, decorative lines, and stand from pink/purple cardstock. Using the 2 rectangle dies (Accordion Rectangle), cut a frame from the light purple cardstock (you will not use the inside of the frame) and large rectangles from both the light purple and pink/purple cardstock.
4. Adhere one roof to bird house; cut chimney off the other and adhere with dimensional tape. Adhere outline heart and decorative lines as shown. Place frame on first panel where shown but before adhering, line up bird house stand and trim bottom off – glue stand first, then frame onto panel. Adhere birdhouse.
5. Die cut clouds (CountryScapes – Clouds & Grass) from scrap paper or cardstock. Use chalk or ink to make a few clouds in the upper third of the light purple rectangle. Use the hill (Outdoor Edges) to cut pink/purple rectangle ground for birds. Adhere to light purple rectangle then adhere to card base (middle panel). Chalk or ink birds as shown. Adhere feet. Rub lightly on the back of their bodies and wings with ball stylus to round them slightly, then use dimensional silicone (or dimensional tape) to adhere wings. Adhere googly eyes if desired (if not, add black cardstock behind eye holes). Once dry, adhere to panel as shown using dimensional silicone (or dimensional tape). When dry, adhere pink/purple heart as shown.
6. Stamp sentiment on last panel in black ink. Adhere light purple heart and pink/purple outline heart as shown. Adhere light purple heart to first panel (front of card) in upper right corner. Adhere pink/purple heart on second panel in upper right corner.
7. Assemble as directed in packaging for Accordion Rectangle or watch Karen Burniston’s video tutorial for the how-to.
- 1249 Birds
- 1250 Birdhouse
- 972 Accordion Rectangle
- 977 Katie Flourish Frame Edges
- 1094 Country Scapes – Clouds & Grass
- 914 Outdoor Edges
- Cardstock: Turquoise, Light Purple, Pink/Purple
- K&Company Specialty Paper 12×12 Abrianna
- Stamps: Close to My Heart S1302 Home Sweet Home
- Black Ink (e.g. VersaFine Onyx Black)
- Pastels (I used PanPastels) or Distress Ink and Ink Blending Tool
- Dimensional Tape
- Optional: Decorators Solution Clear Dimensional Silicone
- Optional: Googly Eyes
Thank you ladies! I appreciate the kind words!
Beautiful card Mary!
So adorable. I bought the birds too and can’t wait to play with them. Thanks Mary. Great tutorial.
Cute card Mary!