Hi Crafty Friends,
It’s Frances here and it is my turn to post a tutorial for the Die Cut Design Team. Today I am playing with a couple of the Becky Seddon die sets, Stylish Snowman and Reindeer, to make a winter birthday card. I have created a mama and baby snowman for this fun card. Becky’s Stylish Snowman die set comes with lots of different options to create unique snow characters. This design could easily be changed to become a Christmas card or card for a winter birthday just by using different sentiments.
I love pop-up cards, so I have used the new General Pop-Ups die set to create the base of my card. On the front I used a couple of the new A Way with Words dies. You can use all or part of what I have done when creating your own, depending on what you want to do.
Here is how I created my card:
Step 1 – The Snow Characters:
Using the Stylish Snowman die set die cut the following from White Soft Finish Cardstock:
- (1) Large Circles
- (2) Medium Circles
- (2) Small Circles
- (2) Winter Hats
- (2) sets of Scarf pieces (3 pieces per scarf)
- (2) sets of arms
- (1) set of buttons
- (2) Noses
- (2) sets Eyes on black cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the back
- (2) sets Mouths on black cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the back
- Sponge around each of the circles using Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.
- Join one small circle to a medium circle for the baby snowman, and join the three other circles together for the mama snow-person. (Note – When overlapping the three snowballs, be careful not to make the mama too tall so that she will fit inside the pop-up card when it is closed)
- Color the arms, nose, buttons, hats and scarf pieces using Copic markers and adhere to mama and baby snowman as per photo above. (Note for the baby snowman, cut the arms below the elbow. You may also wish to wait to add the arms to both snow characters AFTER they are placed inside the card to ensure the arms don’t protrude from the sides of the card when it is closed.)
- Attach black eyes and mouth dots. Adhere buttons to the mama.
- TIP: Die cut the pieces needed for the two snowman heads used on the card front (as specified in Step 8) NOW instead of as one of the final steps. Set them aside till Step 8.
- Cut a piece of snowflake paper from the ModaScrap White Christmas 12 x 12 Paper Pack so that it measures 5 3/4 inches x 12 inches.
- Score along the 12 inch side at 6 inches and fold. Re-open card.
- Temporarily position the snow characters onto the centre of the card to get an idea where to place the pop-up dies. Remove the snowmen and place two of the pop-up dies from the General Pop-Ups die set so that the centre nubs of the die line up with the centre score line. Run through die cut machine.
- Remove the pop-up dies and fold card so you have two pop-up steps.
- Die cut three large trees from the Reindeer die set. Add details to the tree using a grey Copic marker. Adhere to back panel of pop-up. (Note on the photo above I show a smaller tree on the right hand side, I changed my mind and removed it and replaced it with a larger tree after I had positioned the snow characters.
- Using the snow die from the Reindeer die set, cut two pieces of White Soft Finish Cardstock that have Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the front. Remove the protective backing from the adhesive and cover the exposed adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter. Return excess glitter to jar and polish the glitter into the adhesive using your fingertip for maximum sparkle. cut one of these two pieces and adhere to the back panel as shown in the photo above (pieces on either side of the pop-up). Reserve the second glittered snow piece for later.
- Adhere snow mama and baby to the pop-up panels. Note – Make sure that the arms don’t stick out when the card is closed.
- Adhere the second snow piece, set aside earlier, to the front edge of the card as shown above.
- Using black ink, stamp the “just chillin’ from the Holiday Cheer Clear Stamp set and the “Happy Birthday!” from the Banner Sentiments onto White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Centre the small oval from the Entwined Ovals die set over the stamped white panel and die cut. Adhere to the centre of the base of the card. Die cut the small Entwined Oval again, this time from blue cardstock, and adhere around the solid white insert.
- Embellish the Entwined Ovals frame using Transparent/Silver Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers.
Step 5 – Card Front:
- Cut a piece of white cardstock so it is 5 3/4 inches x 12 inches. Score and fold along the 12 inch side at 6 inches to create a top folding card.
- Adhere pop-up panel to the inside of the white cardstock.
- Cut a piece of snowflake paper from the ModaScrap White Christmas 12 x 12 Paper Pack so that it measures 5 3/4 inches x 6inches. Adhere to front of card.
- Die cut the A Way with Words – Flourish Frame twice, once from White Soft Finish Cardstock and once from blue cardstock (both backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet).
- Adhere the solid inner panel from the white die cut to the centre of the card. Keep all of the other pieces that came out of the die cut, too!
- Adhere the blue flourish frame so that it lines up against the white solid inner panel.
- Inlay and adhere all of the remaining white pieces inside the blue frame.
- Die cut the A Way with Words – Small Happy Birthday from White Soft Finish Cardstock.
- Color using three Copic markers in shades of pink and red.
- Adhere to centre of Flourish Frame.
- Using the Stylish Snowman die set die cut the following:
- (2) Small Circles from White Soft Finish Cardstock
- (2) Winter Hats from White Soft Finish Cardstock
- (2) sets of Scarf pieces from White Soft Finish Cardstock
- (2) Noses from White Soft Finish Cardstock
- (2) sets Eyes from Black Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back
- (2) sets Mouth from Black Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape on the back
- Assemble snowman head pieces and adhere to the top right and bottom left of flourish frame on front of card. (Refer to photos above for placement).
- Using the snowflake trio die from the Reindeer die set, die cut snowflakes from White Soft Finish Cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the front.
- Cover adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter and adhere snowflakes to card. Refer to the photo for placement.
- Add Transparent/Silver Glitter Dot Peel Off Stickers to centre of snowflakes.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.
Inks – Black Ink, Tumbled Glass Distress Ink