Shimmer Sheetz Summer Seashells
By Judi Kauffman
Hello, everyone. I’m glad to be back as today’s guest designer.
If it weren’t for seashells and how the sun looks over water at dawn and dusk, I’d probably never set foot on a beach! There. I’ve said it. I don’t venture onto the sand unless it’s my preferred time of day or a season other than summer. During the hours that others are baking themselves and cavorting in the water I’m happily indoors, listening to a book on tape and making cards.Here is one of those cards!
- Alter a 4” x 5” piece of White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with alcohol inks in shades of orange and yellow (shown in the photo above). Alter a 4” x 7” piece of White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with alcohol inks in various shades of brown, orange and yellow. Add splatters of Metallic Mixatives in Gold to this second piece (shown in the photo below).
- Trim a 4” x 4.5” piece of the altered Shimmer Sheetz with gold splatters. Set aside till step 5.
- Back the remaining part of the gold-splattered piece with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape and die cut the word ‘Summer’. Cut the word again from yellow craft foam, also backed with tape prior to cutting. Adhere the Shimmer Sheetz word to the craft foam word, offset to create a yellow shadow. Reminder: You MUST use a metal adaptor plate or the Sizzix Big Shot with Precision Base Plate when die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube TUTORIAL if you are new to this technique.
- Die cut three starfish silhouettes (the base layer) from White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz. Die cut two large shell silhouettes from the ink altered Shimmer Sheetz shown in the photo above step 1 (no gold ink). Die cut detailed ‘outline’ overlays for shells and starfish from Black Velvet Adhesive Sheet. Add overlays to silhouette shapes.
- Die cut several pieces of sea grass from Green Velvet Adhesive Sheet. Arrange on the ink-altered Shimmer Sheetz rectangle. Trim at the edges of the rectangle as needed. Refer to the project photo for placement.
- Center the rectangle on an ivory cardstock A2 card base (4.25” x 5.5”, fold at the left side).
- Die cut several pieces of sea grass from Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet. Place two toward the bottom left and one toward the bottom right of the rectangle, overlapping Green Velvet seagrass and allowing the adhesive shapes to extend to the edges of the card front. Expose the adhesive and cover with ‘Ribbit’ (green) Prills to create texture. Using clear-drying wet glue, build up more dimension with additional Prills. Allow glue to dry before the next step.
8. Add one of the starfish and the word Summer at an angle toward the top of the card (as shown in the photo above). Use a small piece of a Power Adhesive Tab to adhere the starfish, adding dimension.
Add two more starfish and two shells, overlapped, at the bottom of the card (as shown in the photos above and below), using small pieces of a Power Adhesive Tab to adhere and add dimension.
*Alter more Shimmer Sheetz than you need for one card and hold onto the scraps for other projects! (Or make several cards while you’re at it…)
*Choose a different die for the sentiment (Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, Friends, etc.)
*Switch to a different color palette to customize the project. Instead of ink-altered White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz, you could use an embossed Blue Iridescent rectangle as the background. A sea glass or wave pattern embossing folder are good options. Lightly sand to bring out the core color (white).
*Make a larger size card that incorporates more seashells and starfish. Mix in smaller starfish and shells. Or make a smaller card or tag that uses fewer – or smaller – seashells and starfish. (Shell dies are available in two sizes.)
*Instead of cards, make napkin rings, place cards or other party decorations. Decorate gift bags.
*Go big! Create a shadow box that includes turtles, dolphins and seahorses (other dies from the Joset Designs collection).
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Shimmer Sheetz in White Iridescent
Velvet Adhesive Sheets in Green and Black
4 Seasons (for Summer die)
Prills – Flower Pot (used the green prills in this set)
Mono Aqua Liquic Glue (Tombow)
Power Adhesive Tabs (Tombow)
Yellow craft foam (Eighth-inch thickness)
Ink Applicator Tool
Tim Holtz Alcohol inks in shades of Brown, Orange and Yellow
Metallic Mixatives in Gold
Ivory cardstock for card base