Hi there! It’s Suzanne dropping in today to share a fun project with you!
In January, I was at CHA (the Craft and Hobby Association trade show) doing Make n’ Takes in the Elizabeth Craft Designs booth to showcase the newly-released A Way With Words Live, Love and Laugh dies. I had an extra Live cut from Shimmer Sheetz. Because it was already backed with Clear Double Sided Adhesive I used it to embellish my headband! But the word was hard to see in that version because it was flat against the band so I devised a new approach and today I’m taking things to the next level: A dimensional headband with a bow, a butterfly, and a different die cut.
The word is now “Birthday” and it stands up like part of a tiara or crown. I used clear acetate to hold the butterfly aloft, making it look like she’s fluttering above the headband, just about to land! I think this project would be adorable for a little girl to wear to her party, don’t you? It’s simple, only takes a few minutes to assemble and is so bright and happy.
1. Choose a dark coloured headband. (And have a cup of tea while you play!)
2. Buy or make a dark coloured bow from ribbon. Don’t use anything bright or patterned or your embellishments won’t show up. Adhere the bow to the headband using small pieces of Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape.3. Die cut birthday and butterfly from Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz. (Reminder: A Metal Adaptor Plate is required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique.)
4. Cut a narrow strip from the edge of an overhead transparency (acetate sheet).
5. Adhere birthday to the headband and bow. You only need about three small pieces of Clear Double Sided Adhesive.
6. Adhere the transparency strip to the butterfly and anchor it to the back of the birthday diecut. Now your butterfly will bob and move!
Change the colour of Shimmer Sheetz to suit the attire or mood! Change the word to suit the occasion! (Maybe Love on Valentine’s Day?) The iridescent Shimmer Sheetz will reflect the light so it sparkless and changes colour with every movement. Though I described this as a headband for a little girl, we grown-up women deserve a tiara or headband for our special occasions, too, don’t you think? Just size it up to fit.
Have fun! And if, perchance, you make an embellished headband, please share it over on the Elizabeth Craft Designs Family Facebook page! Happy creating, Suzanne
Elizabeth Craft Designs