Peacock Feather Heart
by Judi Kauffman
Peacock feathers and hearts? Why not! It’s an unexpected and somewhat quirky combination, but I love the way it turned out. I chose sunny, happy colors to brighten someone’s day.
This sparkly, durable ornament takes only a few minutes to make. Here’s how:
1. Die cut two peacock feathers from Turquoise Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz. Die cut two Stitched Hearts from Yellow Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz (4.25” wide and 2.25” wide). Die cut the word ‘love’ from Fire Opal Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz.
(Reminder: A metal adaptor plate – or the Big Shot machine with a Precision Base Plate – is REQUIRED as part of the machine’s ‘sandiwch’ for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube tutorial if you are new to this technique.)
2. Lightly sand the peacock feathers and hearts. Tip: Use fine grit sandpaper and very little hand pressure. Sand in long strokes, all in the same direction (not back and forth or in a circular motion), first in one direction (always toward the edge of the die-cut shape, not toward the center), then in another direction so the sanded marks overlap and cross on the diagonal.
3. Assemble the ornament: Layer the two hearts, using Power Adhesive Tabs to hold them together. (No adhesive at the edges of the smaller heart.) Because portions of the peacock feathers are tucked under the smaller heart, you only need to use a little sliver of a Power Tab under the ‘eye’ of the feathers to secure them.
Tip: Use nonstick scissors to cut the Tabs. Adhere the feathers as follows – Tuck the shaft of the top feather under the top left portion of the smaller heart. Tuck part of the right side of the second feather under the left side of the smaller heart. Adhere the word ‘love’ using teeny tiny slivers of a Power Tab to hold it in place.
Refer to the photo below for placement:
5. Add five adhesive-backed gems to the right side of the larger heart to visually balance the feathers and add more sparkle!
6. To make a hanging loop, thread a needle with metallic braid and pull it through the center hole in the dot pattern of the larger heart. Tie a knot.
*Change the color combination to suit your taste and the occasion.
*Instead of peacock feathers, die cut two long-stem flowers or leaves – the ModaScrap collection has lots of options. The die you choose should measure about 4” and should have some kind of a CURVE in the design to echo the curviness of the hearts.
*Instead of the word ‘love’ choose another sentiment that fits the space. Alternatively, use larger hearts for a longer/larger sentiment.
*Rather than making a hanging ornament add the Peacock Feather Heart to a card front, scrapbook page, gift tag, or treasure box.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Tombow Power Adhesive Tabs
Metallic braid (shown: Kreinik #16 Medium)
Chenille or tapestry needle (needle with large eye)
Five .25” diameter adhesive-backed gems