By Judi Kauffman
Our dog was a champion before she retired and came to live with us. Her ribbons were fabulous – a pleated rosette around a big padded circle with gold printing at the top, long tails cascading below. They serve as an inspiration for today’s project: Ribbons to make for friends to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion or give as an award to someone who has triumphed over illness or adversity.
I chose Live, Laugh, and Love – A Way With Words dies that are longtime favorites. ‘Live’ goes to the friend who is five-years cancer-free. ‘Laugh’ goes to the friend who brings smiles no matter what is going on. ‘Love’ goes to my husband.
But you don’t have to choose the same dies or sentiments! It’s very easy to customize this project.
Decide what you want to say and size the circles and fishtail ribbons accordingly. Suzanne Cannon’s A Way With Words collection offers so many options.
Some examples: A tiny circle and short narrow fishtails with the word ‘love’ from the Baby Love set. Or Happy Birthday on a big scalloped edge circle (instead of die cut fishtails as ribbons go for soft, sheer organza over satin or grosgrain!). Or say Thank You or Merci, Gracias, or Danke. And how about Sending Hugs? Or wishing a favorite couple Happy Anniversary (add die cut numerals for the number of years)?
Another way to customize: Instead of flowers below the circles, incorporate die cut arrows or flourishes or a cascade of leaves – or just use the fishtails and keep it simple.
Instead of step-by-step instructions, use the photos for inspiration!
A few tips to get you started:
- Combine Shimmer Sheetz and cardstock for a mix of matte and shiny surfaces.
- Use foam tape to add dimension when layering the circles.
- Adhere the Stitched Fishtails where they overlap so they won’t wiggle around, but allow the flowers or other embellishments that top the fishtails to hang loose, secured only at the top end where the piece peeks out from under the circle.
- Rather than punching a hole for the hanging loop, secure it at the back and hide the ends with a small cardstock or Shimmer Sheetz circle.
- Remember that a Metal Adaptor Plate is REQUIRED for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz. Review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube video if you are new to this technique.
- Optional: Lightly sand Shimmer Sheetz Circles to tone down the shine a bit.
- Instead of Stitched Circles, use Dotted Scallop or Fitted Circles.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Live, Laugh, Love dies OR any A Way With Words collection die(s) of choice
Shimmer Sheetz in colors of choice (Shown: Fire Opal Gemstone; Black, Yellow and Purple Iridescent)
Els van de Burgt Studio Stitched Fishtails
Els van de Burgt Studio Stitched Circles
ModaScrap Ready to Bloom
Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape
Cardstock in solid colors of choice
Cord or ribbon for hanging loop
Foam tape or squares
Metal adaptor plate or Big Shot Machine with Precision Base Plate